Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/10/29 02:28:38 UTC

Being asked for login to access a proxied URL

Any idea why I'm being asked to login to wookie (via basic
authentication) to access a proxied URL.

e.g. http://localhost:8080/wookie/proxy?instanceid_key=Mwp1GaQDZoyOOVvjnQ.sl.withW4DE.eq.&url=http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show.xml?id=129284508087357440&include_entities=false

Accessing the URL directly in the browser presents no problem.

The weather widget (which also makes a proxied request) works fine.

The strange thing is that I was not seeing this behaviour earlier
today. I've done a clean build and removed the database.

Any ideas?

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Being asked for login to access a proxied URL

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Weird,

In any case I've started work on fixing WOOKIE-251, which may solve a few things along the way.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 30 October 2011 15:18, Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you may have noticed from WOOKIE-283 this turned out to be a far worse problem than not getting some twitter updates.
>
> I don't know what the original UC was for including Base64 authz headers, so I've just commented out all the code including them, and disabled the header type from being passed by other means.

I can confirm that this has solved the problem from the widget
perspective. Thanks.

> As its a critical security bug I suggest rolling this into the 0.9.1 release and issuing an advisory rather than waiting for 0.9.2.

+1

Normally such security concerns would normally be dealt with on the
private list until resolved.

I suggest liaising with security@apache.org for guidance.

Ross

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.