Posted to architecture@airavata.apache.org by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/11 00:02:51 UTC

Clarify few things upon propossed Airavata Architecture.

Hi All,

According to the Airavata Architecture diagram in this doc[1] , Airavata
Server API directly call orchestrator and Orchestrator call GFac or
workflow interpreter base on whether it is simple application or not. Why
we differentiate single application from workflow? Could you please explain
the idea behind this? Because as I see,  workflow is a generic way to
construct one or more application together with some inputs and outputs, so
single application with inputs and outputs, itself a workflow. Isn't it?
correct me if I am wrong here. In that case I can see we can simplify the
architecture such as Orchestrator only care about executing and scheduling
tasks.

Workflow interpreter is a component or workflow interpreter is part of
Orchestrator component? Because according to the diagram it shows as
separate component but it is not list down in wiki[2] as a component and
according to the wiki Orchestrator functionalities[3] cater the workflow
functionalities.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17cZ147N-nZixlZ1NoN0A0zIXdx0DIERvcwcJ7yFkx2o/edit?usp=sharing
[2]