Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2016/01/20 08:26:10 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Hi all,

The Apache FreeMarker community has voted on and approved a proposal
to release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01-incubating.

PPMC Vote Calls (2 cancelled votes, the 3rd is the final iteration):
1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-freemarker-dev/201601.mbox/%3C1491892621.20160103014417%40freemail.hu%3E
2. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-freemarker-dev/201601.mbox/%3C1577635506.20160107222932%40freemail.hu%3E
3. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-freemarker-dev/201601.mbox/%3C72744390.20160114011129%40freemail.hu%3E

PPMC Vote Result:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-freemarker-dev/201601.mbox/%3C13110208327.20160119230016@freemail.hu%3E

PPMC Vote Summary:
3 binding +1 votes
1 binding -1 votes

Release Notes:
http://freemarker.incubator.apache.org/builds/2.3.24-rc01/_html/versions_2_3_24.html

Before proceed, you should know that FreeMarker 2.3.x, for a long
time, always releases a normal and a "gae" variant on the same time,
which are technically two independent source trees (Git branches). The
"gae" variant contains a few small modification in the Java source
code to be Google App Engine compliant, and has freemarker-gae as the
Maven artifact name. Otherwise the normal and the "gae" branches are
identical. Hence we hope they can be voted on together.

The commits to be voted upon is tagged with "v2.3.24-rc01" (for the
normal variant) and "v2.3.24-rc01-gae" (for the "gae" variant) and are
available here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-freemarker.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v2.3.24-rc01
(Commit hash: b9ca91dd5c3b04121f5ddcb9f6194c1e7931ba2c)
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-freemarker.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v2.3.24-rc01-gae
(Commit hash: 0c71d8f99323577d9683d924c51d617eb0346d15)

The artifacts to be voted upon are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/freemarker/engine/2.3.24-rc01-incubating/source/
where the source release artifacts are:
apache-freemarker-2.3.24-rc01-incubating-src.tar.gz
apache-freemarker-gae-2.3.24-rc01-incubating-src.tar.gz
See the README inside them for build instructions!

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ddekany.asc

Note that for convenience, we also provide binaries:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/freemarker/engine/2.3.24-rc01-incubating/binaries/
and Maven artifacts in the ASF staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/staging/org/freemarker/

We request the permission of IPMC to publish the above release
candidate as Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01-incubating. Please try out
the package and vote.

The vote is open for a minimum of 72 hours or until the necessary number of
votes (3 binding +1s) is reached.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Myriad 0.1.0-incubating
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Please add "(binding)" if your vote is binding.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
+1 binding

Ideally when sending the vote, use the commit hash in the URL -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-freemarker.git;a=shortlog;h=b9ca91dd5c3b04121f5ddcb9f6194c1e7931ba2c

A general question - should the copyright dates include the project's
origin date?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Jacopo Cappellato

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Now there is (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FREEMARKER-15).

Thanks for that.

> I have red the related ASF documents back then, and I don't understand
> how can this lead to any legal problem since:
> - These binaries were contributed directly to the project
> - Their origin is clarified in the NOTICE file.
> - As a side note, obviously, there can be images and such in a source
>  release, which are also binaries.

It’s not open source software if it contains compiled code. I’m not sure that a SGA would even cover compiled code but INAL. Some binary files (jpegs, gifs etc) are OK as they are not compiled code. This is probably an edge case but it would IMO be easier to compile the code in question rather than include the jars in the source release.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/21/16, 11:52 PM, "Daniel Dekany" <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

>Friday, January 22, 2016, 1:08:36 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>
>> If may be (but unlikely IMO) that this applies [1]. Best to ask on
>> legal discuss to confirm.
>
>I have red the related ASF documents back then, and I don't understand
>how can this lead to any legal problem since:
>- These binaries were contributed directly to the project
>- Their origin is clarified in the NOTICE file.
>- As a side note, obviously, there can be images and such in a source
>  release, which are also binaries.
>
>But yes, I will ask this on legal if it isn't settled here pretty
>soon.

IMO, this isn't a legal issue as much as a policy, convention and
usability issue.  AIUI, ASF releases should be the "raw" sources required
to implement some functionality so that
1) it is easy to examine and determine it is safe to use (no viruses or
trojans, licensing is as expected)
2) it is easy to modify files in the release and submit patches in order
to invite more community involvement and recruit new committers

A jar, even one that just compresses text files, doesn't quite fulfill
those goals, so I would take the time to alter the packaging scripts so
that the source package has a folder of the text files that went into the
jar but no jar file itself, and the build script that creates the
convenience binary packages those text files into a jar.  In fact, I did
just that when working on a recent code donation to a project that
originally contained zip files.

And that's why some binaries like GIF, PNG, JPG files are ok since they
are also the "raw" sources that invite folks to contribute patches and are
considered safe since the aren't known to contain executable code.

A nit: AIUI, the NOTICE file isn't so much about origin of individual
artifacts as it is about required notices like copyrights that have been
swapped out from their original homes in various files, and other
requirements from the licenses for bundled dependencies.  Since the jar
was apparently part of a larger software donation, the standard "Initial
Developer" line would cover all of the code in that donation and not
address the jar specifically.  Of course, this is all moot once you've
replaced the jar in the source package with the text files it contains.

Of course, I could be wrong...
-Alex

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Friday, January 22, 2016, 1:08:36 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Yes, they could be generated as part of the build, but
>> that wasn't done yet, and frankly that would just complicate the test
>> suite without practical benefits.
>
> Is there a JIRA to fix this for the next release?

Now there is (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FREEMARKER-15).

> If may be (but unlikely IMO) that this applies [1]. Best to ask on
> legal discuss to confirm.

I have red the related ASF documents back then, and I don't understand
how can this lead to any legal problem since:
- These binaries were contributed directly to the project
- Their origin is clarified in the NOTICE file.
- As a side note, obviously, there can be images and such in a source
  release, which are also binaries.

But yes, I will ask this on legal if it isn't settled here pretty
soon.

>> As of the NOTICE entires for them:
>> - They were added as these are binaries and hence can't have
>>  copyright notice comment.
>
> In a binary convenience release you would normally add LICENSE and
> NOTICE to these files in the META-INF directory of the jars. These
> jars are missing that. Even if it was an exe file you would add a license. [2]

To clarify for other reads, note that these jars are not distributed
separately (they are inside src/test/resources) and the jar-s that are
distributed separately, such as the Maven artifacts, all have
META-INF/NOTICES. (Also the content of these jar-s isn't useful in
itself... it's just test data.)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yes, they could be generated as part of the build, but
> that wasn't done yet, and frankly that would just complicate the test
> suite without practical benefits.

Is there a JIRA to fix this for the next release? If may be (but unlikely IMO) that this applies [1]. Best to ask on legal discuss to confirm.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Those are artifacts for unit-testing functionality that needs jar
files as input. Yes, they could be generated as part of the build, but
that wasn't done yet, and frankly that would just complicate the test
suite without practical benefits. Their content is mostly just text
files, with the exception of WebappLocalFreemarkerServlet.class,
though one can see that it's just "class WebappLocalFreemarkerServlet
extends FreemarkerServlet {}".

As of the NOTICE entires for them:

- They were added as these are binaries and hence can't have
  copyright notice comment.

- These only occur in the NOTICE of the source release, not in
  freemarker.jar!/META-INF/NOTICE for example.

 Daniel Dekany

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Friday, January 22, 2016, 9:13:15 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> +1 binding
>
> There are unexpected jars in source release but this will be fixed in a later release. [1]
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in release name
> - disclaimer exists
> - license and notice correct
> - unexpected binary files in source release (jars)
> - all source files have Apache headers
> - can compile from source
>
> You may also want to consider signing the artefacts with an apache
> email address rather than the freemail one used.
>
> I'd also suggest that you name each release candidate in order e.g
> rc1, rc2, rc3 etc etc rather than naming them all rc1. There's less
> chance of confusion and people voting on the wrong release candidate that way.

As FreeMarker RC-s are public releases that are advertised on the
front page and so on, if because of some internal iteration we skip
numbers, that's somewhat confusing for the end-user. Not a big deal,
but still. Also note that I only did this inside the poddling mailing
list, not here.

> The GAE release also includes a .settings directory which probably
> shouldn't be included in the release?

Both source releases contain that and .project and .classpath too. It
can be convenient for developers. (Like they do this at JBoss for
plugin projects too.) But yes, it would be cleaner if we export the
relevant Eclipse settings to xml-s, etc.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> Justin, Podling has decided to keep their old method having RCs out for a
> while for integration testing.

It’s only a suggestion. It’s totally up to the PMC how they name their release candidates.

> That's was the source I vote -1,because FMPOV that was not properly handled in the process

Yep I did see that and thought it a little odd that an IPMC vote would be called with a -1 vote on the PPMC (not that it is a veto).

But all good and next time I’m sure it will be smoother.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Once I had time to check this new attempt, I vote +1 (binding) to
release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> I'd also suggest that you name each release candidate in order e.g rc1,
> rc2, rc3 etc etc rather than naming them all rc1. There's less chance of
> confusion and people voting on the wrong release candidate that way.

Justin, Podling has decided to keep their old method having RCs out for a
while for integration testing. Because RCs will be public and announce,
they have to be voted as a regular release. For for this podling what
normally is a RCs are called "attempts". That's was the source I vote -1,
because FMPOV that was not properly handled in the process. Something to
improve, for sure.

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Oh no... So what should I do now? Cancel the vote and restart it with
> the same version etc., or is this correction enough:

Please keep this VOTE going.  It's just a typo, the intent is clear
and there are no real problems.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01 (incubating)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Oh no... So what should I do now? Cancel the vote and restart it with
the same version etc., or is this correction enough:

The "+1" voting box was incorrectly labelled. Please vote according to
this:

 [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache FreeMarker 2.3.24-rc01

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Friday, January 22, 2016, 6:29:53 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Maybe it's too late or has been already reported but at 1st glance
> it was not obvious to me that, after downloading/installing Ant and Ivy, I should
> have copied ivy.jar in ant/lib to be able to build.
>
> Else you get this error:
> <<apache-freemarker-2.3.24-rc01-incubating-src\build.xml:962:
> Problem: failed to create task or type
> antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant:settings>>
>
> So for noobies like me, I would recommend a sentence like
>      <<Note that ivy-version.jar should be copied from ivy to your ant-version/lib folder>>
> after
>      <<You need JDK 8(!), Apache Ant and Ivy to be installed. (As of this writing
>      it was tested with Ant 1.8.1 and Ivy 2.3.0.)>>

Well, when a README says that you have to install XY (like Ivy), it
assumes that you will read the installation instructions of XY... ;->
Anyway, I have added that node to the README.

> Note: I'm on Win7 but I don't think it has an impact on this.

That doesn't mater. Ant has to find that jar somehow.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

quickly checked legal files (disclainer, license and notice) and build
from source without problem.

Regards
JB

Jean-Baptiste Onofré