Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/02 16:14:43 UTC

Re: "client" and requests in request.timeout.ms

Hello Stevo,

Thanks for your inputs. I think your comments can be further categorized
into the following points:

1. Is config request.timeout.ms leaky of internal implementations?

Your observation that "request.timeout.ms" is related only to NetworkClient
is right, but I think that does not mean we should not expose this config
to users, just like "send.buffer.bytes" and "receive.buffer.bytes" are also
for the internal NetworkClient.

For client configs we have IMPORTANCE levels for such configs, and internal
configs like these are usually marked LOW meaning that most of time users
would not need to modify its default values.

2. NetworkClient is actually used both in broker and clients. Is the
javadoc out dated?

Yes I agree. Current NetworkClient is used for controller-to-broker
communication including shutdown request sending, and replica fetcher
consumer request sending. When request timed out the corresponding
destination nodes are marked as disconnected, and it's the caller's
responsibility to re-send the request and try to reconnect to the node.

Could you file a JIRA to update the javadoc of NetworkClient?

3. Could we consider having a different request timeout for different types
of requests?

The community have been discussing about this (e.g.
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/3503). Personally I think it makes
sense to have a longer request timeout for some request types which may be
parked by the broker at the purgatory for some long time before responding,
like Produce / Consume / JoinGroup requests, etc.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang