Posted to dev@lens.apache.org by Jaideep Dhok <ja...@inmobi.com> on 2015/03/05 16:40:10 UTC

Generating data samples from result sets of queries

Hi all,

One of our requirements is to generate sample values of measures and
dimensions so that users can get a feel of the result _before_ they submit
a query.

Could we get this data from result sets? From the cube rewriter module we
can figure which columns will be present in the result set, excluding
projected columns.

Once query is finished, **result formatter* *in Lens goes through the
entire result set to format data properly. We can piggyback on this process
and generate samples of the queried columns.

An advantage of this approach is that we don't need separate scans of data
just to generate samples. A limitation is that this data would become
available only after few queries have run.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-
Jaideep Dhok

receipt.

RE: Generating data samples from result sets of queries

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.
My 2 cents FWIW.

Not sure getting sample values for a dimension or measure is a problem lens should be concerned about. It has optical value in a query builder. If and when we do build one within lens, then it should be a concern for that component and shouldn't belong within the lens server.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan