Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2010/08/07 21:54:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Hi,
In order to have a good companion to the coming Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2 release.
I'd like to release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3.
We solved 10 issues :
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11146&version=15554

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-070/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Notes :
* this release has been build using the staged Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2
(so you must use the staged repository [1] )
* some informations can be found [2], specially how to configure your
pom in order to be able to continue building site with both maven 2.x
and maven 3.

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

+1 from me

--
Olivier

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-069/
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/sokr

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Arnaud

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Olivier Lamy wrote:

> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-070/

+1

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
After the release, I wanted to ask others devs on what to do with
branch and trunk. But it's an other step.
Currently this branch should work as last 2.x release (except issues sure :-) )
So we have put in the wiki some informations regarding changes for
configuration and reporting plugin compatibility.

http://twitter.com/olamy
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/olamy
http://www.viadeo.com/fr/profile/olivier.lamy7

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vincent

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
+1

-Lukas

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)
Nicolas

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
So a proposal release note is available here http://goo.gl/Z16v
Please folks comment and/or fix stuff.

Thanks

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-08 23:30, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2010/8/8 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:

>>> Sounds like an issue. (not blocker IMHO).
>>> Can you provide a sample project and attach it in a jira issue.

>>> Yes I confirm (have a look here http://goo.gl/CVgs)
>>
>> I have noticed this too.
>> Is this because of a change in Maven 3 or the Site Plugin 3?
>
> Maven 3 core.

I read the wiki page you linked to above, but I don't understand why it
was necessary to remove a life-cycle execution. Can someone explain the
reasoning behind that?

Decouple Doxia and reporting I understand, but won't "arbitrary
reporting systems" all go through the Site plugin?

I think this will be the subject of many complaints. It also means that
people just switch from Maven 2 + Site Plugin 2 to Maven 3 + Site Plugin
3 without changing their configuration.

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-08 20:07, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2010/8/8 Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>:
>> +1 (I'd like to work only with maven 3 and the site plugin is the last break for it)
>>
>> but some stuff seems not to be any longer possible with this version.
>>
>> 1) merging reporting
>>
>> I configured in two profiles a old way reporting section and activate them when generating the site : all reports are generated.
>>
>> When using new configuration, it does not works the same. As we are now configuring inside a plugin, the merge is no more possible of reports.
>>
>> Is there a way to do it ?
> Sounds like an issue. (not blocker IMHO).
> Can you provide a sample project and attach it in a jira issue.
>>
>> 2) deploying site.xml
>>
>> Before the site descriptor was always deployed, but now I need to use a specific goal site:attach-descriptor.
>>
>> Can you confirm me this point ?
> Yes I confirm (have a look here http://goo.gl/CVgs)

I have noticed this too.
Is this because of a change in Maven 3 or the Site Plugin 3?

>> Any way great job :) works fine except for this two points.
>>
>> Tony.
>>

>> Le Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:54:12 +0200,
>> Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> In order to have a good companion to the coming Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2 release.
>>> I'd like to release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3.
>>> We solved 10 issues :
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11146&version=15554
>>>
>>> Staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-070/
>>>
>>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>>
>>> Notes :
>>> * this release has been build using the staged Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2
>>> (so you must use the staged repository [1] )
>>> * some informations can be found [2], specially how to configure your
>>> pom in order to be able to continue building site with both maven 2.x
>>> and maven 3.
>>>

>>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [ ] -1
>>>
>>> +1 from me
>>>

>> --
>> Tony Chemit

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.

--
Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I just checked: http://bit.ly/dsx5l1

Releases may not be vetoed

I had forgotten that one!

-Stephen

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Yes, I'm trying to do what I can to improve the situation. That's why I
spent 3 hours yesterday merging the site files over from trunk to the
3.x branch.

Some things are hard for me to do though, such as document code written
by someone else or putting back code that isn't working, when I don't
know the reason why the code was pulled in the first place.

I know that releases are fairly easy to make, I've done the last 6 Site
Plugin releases. What I don't like, is releasing stuff that doesn't meet
the level of quality I want.

On 2010-08-10 22:21, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Try and help make all the fixes you think are necessary to make a higher quality release and we'll just release it again.
>
> On Aug 10, 2010, at 4:19 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-10 13:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Thanks for review.
>>>
>>> So here it looks I have two choices :
>>> * delay again having a site plugin for maven3 (as I'm not available
>>> for 2 weeks : it could be delayed for 3/4 weeks)
>>> * push a release with a -1 vote (which it's not blocker).
>>>
>>> So currently, I choose the second option and will push an other
>>> release (including fixes for your comment) in 3/4 weeks.
>>
>> As the release manager, the decision is yours to make, since there seems
>> to be more +1 than -1 votes.
>>
>>> Sure : you can say why ?
>>> My choice is push this to have a first "beta" full stack for maven 3.
>>> Too much users doesn't upgrade and/or complains due to the missing
>>> site plugin for maven 3.
>>> So certainly, we will have issues on this version.
>>> But as it's impossible to get a full tests/its suite for all various
>>> projects which use maven in the world, this release will a be good
>>> start to have more issues reporting.
>>
>> No release is perfect, but I feel that what we have now is not yet ready
>> to be released.
>>
>>> So having a -0 vote for such beta could be a better choice (IMHO).
>>
>> Well, I disagree. To me a -1 vote means that the voter doesn't think the
>> release should be done. -0 is more like "you should have thought about
>> these issues before starting the release, but go ahead and release anyway"
>>
>>> BTW thanks for your docs merging !
>>
>> Sure thing.
>>
>> May I suggest that you do not deploy the site for Site plugin 3.0-beta-1
>> at all, since it doesn't contain anything that isn't already published
>> in the 2.1.1 site.
>>
>> Instead of putting the plugin URL in the release notes e-mail, you could
>> use the URL to wiki page that you wrote. Perhaps linking the related
>> wiki pages together? So we keep the docs for this release purely on the
>> wiki, and for the next release we integrate the wiki pages into the
>> plugin site.
>>
>> Can you also please add something to the migration page on the wiki
>> about the missing features (proxy and webdav) I mentioned below.

>>> Sure and it looks I'm this person :-)

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

>>> started such a document on the wiki, but in my opinion it needs to be in
>>> the plugin's site. I'm willing to help fix the documentation.
>>>
>>> * There is close to no Javadocs for the 6 new classes. If we are to
>>> support the code the person who wrote it must document it properly. We
>>> have done poorly in this regard earlier and it's time to change that.
>> Sure and it looks I'm this person :-)
>>>
>>> * If I read the code correctly in the SiteDeployMojo and
>>> SiteStageDeployMojo, proxy support (including tests for it) has been
>>> disabled. If we release without proxy support it has to be a conscious
>>> decision and it has to be documented.
>>>
>>> * A comment in the POM in relation to wagon says "disabled webdav ..."
>>> and "providers not anymore in core". Does that mean that you cannot
>>> deploy the site over webdav? I haven't tried it myself, as I don't have

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
> May I suggest that you do not deploy the site for Site plugin 3.0-beta-1
> at all, since it doesn't contain anything that isn't already published
> in the 2.1.1 site.
>
> Instead of putting the plugin URL in the release notes e-mail, you could
> use the URL to wiki page that you wrote. Perhaps linking the related
> wiki pages together? So we keep the docs for this release purely on the
> wiki, and for the next release we integrate the wiki pages into the
> plugin site.

As a user I second this. If the site doesn't clearly explain the differences
regarding the two branches and doesn't contain the correct/complete info,
lots of people are going to be confused. In my experience, most users are
currently using Maven 2 and those that use Maven 3 would know how to find
the appropriate info from the mailing lists etc.

Thanks for getting this out to those of us using Maven 3!

/Anders

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-08-10 13:03, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> [...]

>> a webdav server available for testing.
>

>> On 2010-08-07 21:54, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In order to have a good companion to the coming Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2 release.
>>> I'd like to release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3.
>>> We solved 10 issues :
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11146&version=15554
>>>
>>> Staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-070/
>>>
>>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>>
>>> Notes :
>>> * this release has been build using the staged Apache Maven 3.0-beta-2
>>> (so you must use the staged repository [1] )
>>> * some informations can be found [2], specially how to configure your
>>> pom in order to be able to continue building site with both maven 2.x

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Stephen Connolly
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is a -1 really called for on a beta release with this criteria?
>
> you could just vote -0.9999999999999999999999999999
>
> it's only a beta

I agree with you regarding the deficiencies in the site and in the
Javadoc, but if these are true, then we should consider the fact that
we are releasing a beta of one of the most important and widespread
used Maven plugins. Otherwise, we'd effectively disable a lot of
functionality that is in place right now. Which is nothing a beta
should do.

Jochen

> On 9 August 2010 23:01, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> * If I read the code correctly in the SiteDeployMojo and
>> SiteStageDeployMojo, proxy support (including tests for it) has been
>> disabled. If we release without proxy support it has to be a conscious
>> decision and it has to be documented.
>>
>> * A comment in the POM in relation to wagon says "disabled webdav ..."
>> and "providers not anymore in core". Does that mean that you cannot
>> deploy the site over webdav? I haven't tried it myself, as I don't have
>> a webdav server available for testing.

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Site Plugin 3.0-beta-1 for maven 3

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Hervé

1