Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by eg <eg...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/11 18:11:38 UTC

SvnServe - LocalService account permissions question

I've been running SvnServe 1.4.3 as a service on a Windows 2003 box and
I have been wanting to switch the account it runs under to be
"LocalService"...
I plan to do this when I upgrade to 1.4.4.

I have a question about required account permissions.

I found some information in the following
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-serversetup.html

This document states the following:
"Note that you would have to give the Local Service account appropriate
rights to both Subversion and your repositories, as well as any
applications which are used by hook scripts."

Does anyone have a quick summary of aforementioned "appropriate" rights
required for setup of the Local service account?

Does it require "Full Control" in the subversion repository directories?
... or something a bit less?

Does it require "Read", "Read & Execute" and "List Folder contents" in
the  Subversion program directories?... or something a bit less (or more).

Yes, I know I can guess and experiment, but it would be nice to hear
from someone in the know, who has already done this.

Re: SvnServe - LocalService account permissions question

Posted by Peter Bradley <P....@dsl.pipex.com>.
Ysgrifennodd eg:
> I've been running SvnServe 1.4.3 as a service on a Windows 2003 box
> and I have been wanting to switch the account it runs under to be
> "LocalService"...
> I plan to do this when I upgrade to 1.4.4.
>
> I have a question about required account permissions.
>
> I found some information in the following
> http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-serversetup.html
>
> This document states the following:
> "Note that you would have to give the Local Service account
> appropriate rights to both Subversion and your repositories, as well
> as any applications which are used by hook scripts."
>
> Does anyone have a quick summary of aforementioned "appropriate"
> rights required for setup of the Local service account?
>
> Does it require "Full Control" in the subversion repository
> directories? ... or something a bit less?
>
> Does it require "Read", "Read & Execute" and "List Folder contents" in
> the  Subversion program directories?... or something a bit less (or
> more).

I can't give you a full answer, but I can say that I fell foul of this
one when I was trying to set Subversion up as a service under Windows.
Basically it needs to be able to execute svn and to read from and write
to the repository.

There may be other things, but they were the ones I found.  Once I'd
done that it worked OK.

HTH

Peter

Re: Promotion system (for lack of a better term)

Posted by Matthew Hannigan <ml...@zip.com.au>.
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 08:21:43AM -0700, Shawn Talbert wrote:
> Buy BitKeeper?

Or get svk, mercurial, bzr or git.

RE: Promotion system (for lack of a better term)

Posted by Shawn Talbert <st...@exploreconsulting.com>.
Buy BitKeeper?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Er...@fitchratings.com.
[...]

Sincerely,

Eric Roberts
ColdFusion Developer
FitchRatings
eric.roberts@fitchratings.com

phone:    312-368-3101
mobile:   630-335-5772
fax:           312-368-3342

             Ryan Schmidt
             <subversion-2007b
             @ryandesign.com>                                           To
                                       Eric.Roberts@fitchratings.com
             06/11/2007 02:05                                           cc
             PM                        users@subversion.tigris.org
                                                                   Subject

On Jun 11, 2007, at 13:36, Eric.Roberts@fitchratings.com wrote:

> I am looking for something (either software or a method of doing so
> in SVN)
> where I do all my development work, then commit that to the dev
> repository...then once i am happy with the changes commit that to
> the live
> repository.  I can see having my live directory on my dev box also
> being
> checked out of the live repository...but can you have a directory
> that is
> checked out from 2 repositories?  I already have repositories on my
> dev box
> and on my live server.  I hope that made sense.

Why do you want to have two repositories?

I recommend you use separate repositories only for concepts which
really are separate from one another. For example, I have a
repository for my software source code, and another repository for my
music.

I recommend you have just a single repository, served from a machine
that's accessible to both your live and dev environments -- which
could be either the live or dev machine, or a third machine,
depending on your setup. You can manage the separate dev and live
environments by making one of these a branch.

Confidentiality Notice:  The information in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this e-mail.  Unauthorized use, reliance, disclosure or copying of the contents of this e-mail, or any similar action, is prohibited.

Re: Promotion system (for lack of a better term)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 11, 2007, at 13:36, Eric.Roberts@fitchratings.com wrote:

> I am looking for something (either software or a method of doing so
> in SVN)
> where I do all my development work, then commit that to the dev
> repository...then once i am happy with the changes commit that to
> the live
> repository.  I can see having my live directory on my dev box also
> being
> checked out of the live repository...but can you have a directory
> that is
> checked out from 2 repositories?  I already have repositories on my
> dev box
> and on my live server.  I hope that made sense.

Why do you want to have two repositories?

I recommend you use separate repositories only for concepts which
really are separate from one another. For example, I have a
repository for my software source code, and another repository for my
music.

I recommend you have just a single repository, served from a machine
that's accessible to both your live and dev environments -- which
could be either the live or dev machine, or a third machine,
depending on your setup. You can manage the separate dev and live
environments by making one of these a branch.

RE: Promotion system (for lack of a better term)

Posted by Er...@fitchratings.com.
isn't that overkill?  Plus you are then moving over changes to you
production box that may not be ready for prime time just yet...

Sincerely,

Eric Roberts
ColdFusion Developer
FitchRatings
eric.roberts@fitchratings.com

phone:    312-368-3101
mobile:   630-335-5772
fax:           312-368-3342

             <John.Salinardo@s
             hell.com>
             06/11/2007 02:01          <Er...@fitchratings.com>,
             PM                        <us...@subversion.tigris.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE:  Promotion system (for lack of
                                       a better term)

I was asked this same type of question today from a developer - my
suggestion was to create a repository on your local machine for the
development work and then export it to the live repository.  Not sure if
that works or not - maybe exporting to another file then checking it into
the live depository...?

Posted by Jo...@shell.com.