Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Venkat <vr...@ymail.com> on 2013/02/20 21:23:30 UTC

Avro file - Seek to specific offset and read

Hi All,

Using DataFileReader, I'm trying to read data from a specific [start-offset] to an [end-offset]. Both the start and end offsets are marked with synchronization markers using DataFileWriter.sync()

The following is the snipped I use to read the data back:

        DataFileReader<GenericRecord> fileReader = new DataFileReader<GenericRecord>(input, reader);
        fileReader.seek(startOffset);  // set to the start-offset

        while(fileReader.hasNext() && !fileReader.pastSync(endOffset))
        {
            GenericRecord gr = fileReader.next();
        }

This, however, reads & returns more records than what I wrote between the two offsets.

Appreciate your help regarding this.

Thanks

Re: Avro file - Seek to specific offset and read

Posted by Venkat <vr...@ymail.com>.
Hi Doug,

Adjusting the start and end offsets (returned by DataFileWriter.sync()) back by 16 bytes (DataFileConstants.SYNC_SIZE) fixed the issue.

This assumption is based on looking at the DataFileReader.pastSync() implementation.

97   public boolean pastSync(long position) throws IOException {
98     return ((blockStart >= position+SYNC_SIZE)||(blockStart >= sin.length()));
99   }

Let me know if this assumption is correct.

Thanks
Venkat

That should work.  It's hard for me to guess what's going wrong,
whether there's a bug in Avro, in your program, or perhaps just
unclear documentation.  Could you post a complete program that
demonstrates the issue?

Thanks,

Doug

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.