Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by zonghai shang <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2018/03/13 15:30:18 UTC

答复: Suggestions on the organizational form of the code repository after confirming the submission of the dubbo code to apache

Sorry, E-mail support for forms is not friendly, Here is a picture of the project structure change.

Here are directory of project structure changes:
[cid:2b54ab81-ccbc-450b-aac8-eb3d88fc32e0]

Here are main changes:

  1.  dubbo/dubbo.github.io renamed to apache/dubbo-website after import to apache.
  2.  dubbo/dubbo-spring-boot-project renamed to apache/dubbo-spring-boot after import to apache.
  3.  dubbo/dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc renamed to apache/dubbo-jsonrpc after import to apache.
  4.  dubbo/dubbo-feature-test rename to apache/dubbo-feature-test after import to apache.
  5.  The remaining submissions to the apache project rename the prefix dubbo to apache.

Reasons for suggesting structural adjustment:
   1. I suggest adjusting because the naming is clearer and easier to understand.
   2. Refer to existing apache projects apache/commons-io, apache/commons-lang, apache/commons-math and so on.

Welcome everyone to make suggestions.

Re: Suggestions on the organizational form of the code repository after confirming the submission of the dubbo code to apache

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Filed a INFRA ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-16182

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by shang zonghai <yi...@hotmail.com>.
We expect to agree on the following points:

  1.  Can we put the project at https://github.com/apache/<https://github.com/apache/?> ?

     for example:
     a.  alibaba/dubbo move to https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo
     b.  dubbo/dubbo.github.io move to https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-website
     c.  dubbo/dubbo-spring-boot-project move to https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-spring-boot.
     d.  dubbo/dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc move to https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-jsonrpc.
     e.  dubbo/dubbo-feature-test move to https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-feature-test .

     2.  If the IP clearance( and some other tasks, eg  contributors cla) only really needs to be sorted out before graduation, we may work on it there not current existing github repo (https://github.com/alibaba/dubbo).

    Best Regards,
    yiji
________________________________
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> They are release individually. Is it a problem after moving to ASF?

No issue at all.

Thanks,
Justin

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Are you looking to continue to use github as the primary repository
>>> location, or switch to our internal git? I'd recommend github since you're
>>> already there.
>>
>> +1 stick to github, just transfer to github/apache after the IP Clearance sort of things
>
> With my mentors hat on I think it would be better to transfer the code to the ASF repos and work on it there. The IP clearance only really needs to be sorted out before graduation.

There was some misunderstanding in the incubating process. I thought
the IP clearance must be done before moving to ASF repo. So did some
of the committers.

Now that you've pointed out, I think we should move the repo as soon
as possible.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

> On 14 Mar 2018, at 10:34 AM, jun liu <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you looking to continue to use github as the primary repository
>> location, or switch to our internal git? I'd recommend github since you're
>> already there.
>
> +1 stick to github, just transfer to github/apache after the IP Clearance sort of things
>
>> For the git repos not moving over, is there any reason they
>> would not come over?
>
> Maybe zonghai worries about too many repos, and demo doesn't seems to be as important as the core or extensions.
> What about we merge all side projects(demos or extensions) into one repo after transfer?Otherwise, there will be two much repos: dubbo-ops, dubbo-docs, dubbo-jsonrpc and other extensions or demos that may come up in future.

I suggest we should keep these side projects separately. It is not wise to mix up the different staff with the different release cycle in one single project.

Posted by jun liu <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zonghai shang <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

question 1:

After use prefixed as "incubator-dubbo" for project name, can we rename project on the table:

project name    import to apache         apache project name    description
alibaba/dubbo   yes     incubator-dubbo/dubbo
        core repository

dubbo/dubbo.github.io   yes     incubator-dubbo-website
        official site

dubbo/dubbo-ops
        yes     incubator-dubbo-ops
        monitor&admin features

dubbo/dubbo-spring-boot-project
        yes     incubator-dubbo-spring-boot
        support for spring boot

dubbo/dubbo-docs
        yes
        incubator-dubbo-docs
        documentations

dubbo/dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc
        yes
        incubator-dubbo-jsonrpc
        jsonrpc extension

dubbo/dubbo-docker-sample
        no      -       demo

dubbo/dubbo-resources
        no
        -       -
dubbo/dubbo-feature-test
        yes
        incubator-dubbo-feature-test    feature test

dubbo/dubbo-http-demo
        no
        -       demo

dubbo/dubbo-ws-demo
        no
        -       demo

Here are main changes:

  1.  dubbo/dubbo.github.io renamed to incubator-dubbo-website after import to apache.
  2.  dubbo/dubbo-spring-boot-project renamed to incubator-dubbo-spring-boot after import to apache.
  3.  dubbo/dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc renamed to incubator-dubbo-jsonrpc after import to apache.
  4.  dubbo/dubbo-feature-test rename to incubator-dubbo-feature-test after import to apache.
  5.  The remaining submissions to the apache project rename the prefix dubbo to incubator-dubbo.

question 2:

For the git repos not moving over, because it is only used as a demonstration, it is not a dubbo core feature.

question3:

if we switch to our internal git, we have some tasks not complete yet, eg:

  1.  about ip clearance
  2.  check all contributors cla
  3.  and so on

Do we have to complete taskts (see eg: 1. ip clearance and so on) related to the dubbo project in the existing github  or we can first move over to internal git before completing this tasks.
________________________________
All repositories coming in for dubbo will be prefixed as "incubator-dubbo", this is a requirement.

Are you looking to continue to use github as the primary repository location, or switch to our internal git? I'd recommend github since you're already there.  For the git repos not moving over, is there any reason they would not come over?

John

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:30 AM zonghai shang <yi...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
Sorry, E-mail support for forms is not friendly, Here is a picture of the project structure change.

Here are directory of project structure changes:
[X]

Here are main changes:

  1.  dubbo/dubbo.github.io<http://dubbo.github.io> renamed to apache/dubbo-website after import to apache.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.