Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Preston, Brian" <Br...@firstdatabank.com> on 2007/08/20 13:03:42 UTC

how to connect to svnserve? what's the URL?

I've setup svn on my local machine just to demo it to my new project
team.  I've been using TortoiseSVN with file:/// to connect to this
local repository and it was working fine. Now I need to install it to a
local server machine for regular usage by the team.  It appears that
I've got the repository set up on the server, which is a Windows box.
I've decided to use svnserve and it looks like I have ths svnserve set
up as a Windows service.  Now I'm trying to connect to it via
TortoiseSVN Repository browser from my local machine and it looks like
it's not connecting.  I thought I was supposed to use 'svn://server' for
the URL but there's nothing there.

PS - my apologies in advance for the email disclaimer.  I've only been
been at this company for 3 weeks and don't have the rapport yet with the
IT group to ask them to remove it.  They've also blocked gmail, which I
would've preferred to use
This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the
recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify First DataBank
Support (HelpDesk@firstdatabank.com) immediately by e-mail
and delete the original message.

Re: how to connect to svnserve? what's the URL?

Posted by ma...@arcor.de.
The URL consists of 3 parts:
1. svn://
2. server/
3. path/to/repository

Example:
1. Repository is at D:\Repositories\SVN\Demo
2. Start Subversion via "svnserver.exe --daemon --root=D:\Repositories\SVN"
3. Access the demo repository via svn://localhost/Demo

Tip:
Free online SVN book at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Regards
Maddes

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Marsh <Ad...@ubiquisys.com>.
Brian,

It depends on what mechanism you actually want to setup. Nice thing about
SVN is its fairly flexible.

Setting svnserve up as a daemon itself provides little "protection",
authentication or encryption. Don't make the mistake I did of getting one
system up and running without assessing the actual needs..

Ask yourself this:

-          Will sensitive documents be stored here?  (Any legal requirements
to encrypt/protect - English Data Protection Act can come into play here).

-          Is the network secured (LAN & WAN) ? Does it need to be? Are you
concerned about anyone snooping the network? If it isn't, then do you need
to ensure the data transfer is protected?

-          Will it be accessed outside of the company (shared with partners
etc)

SVN can work with SSH, Apache (HTTP + HTTPS).  All of which have pros/cons..
See the book for details on each.

Adrian Marsh