Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/03/24 00:52:26 UTC

[web] derby web site reorg

I looked at the organization of a bunch of Apache sites then focused on
these three:

  geronimo.apache.org
  xmlbeans.apache.org
  jakarta.apache.org/tapestry

Then started playing with a possible web site reorg for derby. I put a
draft here (without any binaries to keep the size small):

   http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/

Below are the modifications:

1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
config file.

Is beige an improvement?
Or leave it blue?

2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)

Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
to have

4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
(Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

5) Combined Manuals and Papers into a "Library" tab. (Idea from
Geronimo: it says Library on the left-hand menu and has a Documentation
tab -- I like "Library").

I also Renamed "Manuals" to "Documentation".

6) Renamed "Integration" tab to "Resources" (idea from XmlBeans)
"Integration" has always struck me as awfully specific and not everyone
might understand what it means.
Also, I simplified the links on the tab -- felt it was too cluttered.

do you like it? hate it? any suggestions?

thanks,

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
> [web-site re-org]
>
> I like all the changes, one thing I would like to see, though we may not
> be ready for it yet, is to promote the wiki more as a information source.

Good point. I added it to the Quick Links on the Home tab just now,
which doesn't solve the visibility problem, but it belongs there anyhow.

> In the new site it's mentioned in a couple of places, but not really as
> a first class object, in a way it's just described as a "wiki", it might
> be better to describe it as "user supplied information", or some term
> that better describes what people might find there.

The community page might be a good place to introduce and promote it.
Right now all it says is "Add your wisdom to the Derby Wiki" in the
"Provide Feedback" section, which is lousy placement.

> Though I think the wiki's front page needs to be re-designed to make it
> a more welcoming site, maybe split the user and developer into two
> pages, and have the web-site point directly to either depending on the
> context.

definitely!

> Seems that with the wiki anyone who was interested could set up example
> welcome pages easily and then we could select the best effort.

sounds good.

thanks for the feedback,

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
You might also take a look at the NetBeans (http://www.netbeans.org) and
PHP (http://www.php.net) sites, I think those are great community web
sites.  Note that they are more focused on the *user* than the
*developer* - something I think we need to think more about.

David

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> I like all of these changes, just a couple of comments:
>>2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
>>page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>>
>>Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?
>
> This is nice, my only addition would be at the top, a link to the
> download page, seems like downloading it is the first thing people
> should do, but maybe the assumption is that they'll download it first

good idea -- thanks!

> and then come to this page? It would be nice if there were some way to
> direct people hitting the Derby site for the first time directly to
> this page. Link a big, bold link on the front page that reads "New to
> Derby? Click here!"

How about a "Quick Start" tab like Tapestry has? --It's easy to do. I've
been cautious about adding too many tabs, but this draft for Derby has
only 5 and one more would work.

I'll do one so people can see what it looks like.

>>4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
>>(Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)
>
> It's weird that you click the Download tab and it takes you the
> download part of the Home tab, but I'm guessing that's just a Forrest
> thing.

It's a "feature", but only because I didn't provide more stuff for a
download tab. However, I also played with another config for the
download tab that would display just:

   Overview
   License
   10.1.2.1

Could also do ...

   Overview
      How to build Derby
      How to test Derby
      How to submit a patch
   License
   10.1.2.1

In other words, we could add a link to any spot on the page that you
think is strategic.

(There's an obscure odd side effect to this: you can't also list the
main download page on the home tab if you go this route.)

I put these suggestions here:

   http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest2

How does it look? (btw, the 10.1.2.1 download link won't work, in case
anyone tries it).

and thanks for the feedback!

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

On 3/23/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:

> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?

I like the lighter color a lot. I wouldn't change it back even to a
lighter blue, but that's my personal preference of course.

> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

This is nice, my only addition would be at the top, a link to the
download page, seems like downloading it is the first thing people
should do, but maybe the assumption is that they'll download it first
and then come to this page? It would be nice if there were some way to
direct people hitting the Derby site for the first time directly to
this page. Link a big, bold link on the front page that reads "New to
Derby? Click here!"

> 4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
> (Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

It's weird that you click the Download tab and it takes you the
download part of the Home tab, but I'm guessing that's just a Forrest
thing.

andrew

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>"Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> writes:
>>
>>>Are there any writeups on how to use Derby with other IDEs?  I'll
>>>happily add links to any.
>
> Getting Started using Apache Derby in JBuilder
>
> http://www.thecoadletter.com/article/0,1410,33327,00.html

thanks!

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> writes:
>>Are there any writeups on how to use Derby with other IDEs?  I'll
>>happily add links to any.
>
> There is this one:
>
> http://www.netbeans.org/kb/50/derby-demo.html

thanks!

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

"Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> writes:

> Are there any writeups on how to use Derby with other IDEs?  I'll
> happily add links to any.

There is this one:

http://www.netbeans.org/kb/50/derby-demo.html

Dag

--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by scott hutinger <s-...@wiu.edu>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I looked at the organization of a bunch of Apache sites then focused on
> these three:
>
>   geronimo.apache.org
>   xmlbeans.apache.org
>   jakarta.apache.org/tapestry
>
> Then started playing with a possible web site reorg for derby. I put a
> draft here (without any binaries to keep the size small):
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/
>
> Below are the modifications:
>
> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?
>
> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?
I like this a lot.  Although the IDE shouldn't be eclipse only.

> 3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
> to have

The asf link might want to show that it leaves the derby site.  I
don't know the best way to do this, or if it's really a good idea.
> 4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
> (Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

I can't really tell from the downloads, which download I want.
Possibly some more information about what is different between then
all.  Possibly a changes, diff between them all.  Also, it would be
nice for a while to have the snapshot first, some type of
> 5) Combined Manuals and Papers into a "Library" tab. (Idea from
> Geronimo: it says Library on the left-hand menu and has a Documentation
> tab -- I like "Library").
Looks very nice, although the overview isn't intuitive at first, but
it is after seeing it once.  One might want to have more links at the
overview, although this might not be the case.

> I also Renamed "Manuals" to "Documentation".
This is good...

Re: [web] derby web site reorg -> Navigating the manuals online

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Yes, this works!  I can't say for sure without extended usage whether
the separate browser window for each manual works or not, but my first
impression is that this is *very* helpful.

Thanks!

David

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by scott hutinger <s-...@wiu.edu>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> Sorry, I described the problem wrong (I had it a bit mixed up in my head)
>
> Say I go to Manuals->English->10.1 Manuals->Developers Guide->HTML Files
>
> Then I go "hmmm, maybe what I'm looking for is in the Reference Guide".
>  I can't just go to this, I have to go Back, and then click
> English->10.1 Manuals->Reference->HTML Files
>
> I'd love to just be able to go straight to the HTML files version of the
> 10.1 Reference guide (one click instead of five clicks).

If when you click on the html link for a manual, would it help if it
were to open in a new window, leaving the original window as is?
Following your example, you could just close the Developers Guide
window, then click on the Reference Guide link.

Forrest has some link commands I'm looking at; for the forrest-inclined,
see:

http://forrest.apache.org/dtdx/document-v20.html#link-class

I don't know if I can put the "jump" class in site.xml -- need to do
some homework.

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I looked at the organization of a bunch of Apache sites then focused on
> these three:
>
>   geronimo.apache.org
>   xmlbeans.apache.org
>   jakarta.apache.org/tapestry
>
> Then started playing with a possible web site reorg for derby. I put a
> draft here (without any binaries to keep the size small):
>
>    http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/
>
> Below are the modifications:
>
> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?

I think it's an improvement

> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

Yes, very nice!

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Susan Cline wrote:
<snip>
> I like the addition of the Library tab a lot.  The only thing I'm not sure
> I understand the rational for is the separation of the Resource from the
> Library.  But I guess if you say the Library is only related to Derby
> and not how Derby works with other things, it does.  But it appears that
> there is overlap between the two.

Library is any publication that has to do with just Derby itself.
And Resource is anything external to Derby.

But my division is completely subjective! :-)

Would there be a better way to organize these?

thanks for the feedback!

 -jean

Re: [web] derby web site reorg

Posted by Susan Cline <ho...@pacbell.net>.
Hi Jean,

I made comments where you asked for input below.  Overall, I like the look
and navigation of the site better than the old one... thanks for doing this.

Susan
--- "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> 1) Some time ago somebody mentioned the blue menu on the left was too
> dark. It turned out to be easy to change it to beige in the forrest
> config file.
>
> Is beige an improvement?
> Or leave it blue?

I think it looks a little bit light right now, but I also agree the blue
was a tad dark.  If I had to pick between the too, I prefer the lighter one.

> 2) Added a "Quick Start" page, linked to on the Home tab and the home
> page. (Tapestry has a Quick Start page that is also a tab.)
>
> Good idea? What about the name? Any suggestions for content?

I like the quick start section and it seems like you have most things covered.

> 3) Home tab gets a "Quick Links" section, which many apache sites seem
> to have
>
> 4) Added a "Download" tab to make downloads even easier to find.
> (Geronimo and XmlBeans have Download tabs.)

This is a huge improvement.  I think it was too hard to find this before.