Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> on 2012/10/01 15:48:24 UTC

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

}On 24 September 2012 11:20, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's up devs?
>
> Following our last discussion with @nslater on twitter, I wanted to say
> a quick HI on the mailing-list. This mail is splitted in 2 parts. A long
> time really. These days I miss what make me enjoy CouchDB at the
> beginning. The energy you could feel on the chan and sometimes IRL. The
> time when anyone was aware of who was working on a feature. Which
> feature was in progress. Today IRC is more like a support channel where
> sometimes ideas emerge but you don't feel they are very supported. There
> are private discussion somewhere.  But well they are... private. Same
> for tickets. We see tickets but more often no real incentive from each
> others (and I am to blame too) to fix them.
>
> Today to be honnest, this lack of energy annoys me a lot. This is quite
> more important than the rest. At least for me. I don't have 4 devs on
> the projects working with me in my office where I can speak with each
> other about possible fixes and such .. Communication inside the project
> is  really important. Apache CouchDB is an opensource project
> distributed around the world (at least 2 continents).
>
> Anyway I still keep my confidence in the project. I know there have been
> lot of codes developped around. Today if we don't count the couchbase
> fork (wich is still named couchdb and all...) there are 2 friendly forks I'm
> aware of couchdb: bigcouch, refuge.
>
> Bigcouch was announced to be merged in. But since then we don't know as
> couchdb devs how it will be. How can we keep couchdb working standalone
> and on a cluster. It blocks everything else today for me since I don't
> know if I will work on a cluster or still can continue to think I can
> use couchdb standalone on one node (and possiblit migrate to the
> cluster thing easily). I didn't see anything about in
> bigcouch recently as well. . As a CouchDB developper I would like to see
> a branch in couchdb so we can hack on all together or just review or
> document.
>
> Rcouch my own fork which has the following features:
>
> - OTP compliant (build an erlang release, support hot upgrades), bigcouch
> is as well. Today couchdb isn't really erlangish and is based on
> autotools
> - static build support. Packages for deb, rpm, macosx, arm platforms
> - View changes: get changes in an ndex in real time
> - Replication using view changes
> - couch_randomdoc : pick a random document inside a db or a view
> - dnssd : discover couchdb over bonjour in your lan
> - upnp : make couchdb easily accessible on the net
> - refuge_spatial: fork of geocouch adapted to use latest couch_index.
>   (note that a version also exists for bigcouch)
> - HTTP api based on ranch and cowboy (using mochicow for the
>   transition). more stable and efficient HTTP handlers
> - doc read validation (like update validation)
> - dropbox features (anyone can upload only readers or admins can read
>   doc uploaded)
> [...]

I second this. I'd like to be able to look back in a couple of years'
time and say "Wow that's when we pulled it all together", put the C
into OuchDB so to speak :-). I replied to Benoit's build system
thread, did I miss a response from the BigCouch folk? I appreciate its
a huge amount of work to merge & there will be mainly sitting /
waiting on the sidelines for many of us, just let us know where we
could help?

A+
Dave