Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mark Maunder <ma...@swiftcamel.com> on 2001/10/16 00:35:20 UTC

Re: search engine module? [drifting OT DBI related]

"Matt J. Avitable" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I've written a search engine that searches for jobs in a database based
> > on keywords. I'm assembling a string of sql and then submitting it to
> > the database based on the user's search criteria. It's working but is
>
> It sounds like you are writing a web front end for mysql.  I'm not
> sure about modules on cpan about that specifically.  If you wanted to get
> a bit more fancy, you might try DBIx::FullTextSearch.

Thanks. I Checked out FullTextSearch on some earlier advice and it's not
exactly what I'm after, but quite useful none the less. I've started using
MySQL's MATCH/AGAINST with fulltext indexes instead, and it is extremelly
fast (!!), but am waiting for a feature that's available in mysql 4.0 (due
end of this month) that allows you to use +word and -word syntax to specify
required or unwanted keywords. Also just as an asside, match/against only
works with MyISAM tables so I've had to convert some of mine from InnoDB at
the cost of losing transactions.

Re: search engine module? [drifting OT DBI related]

Posted by Mark Maunder <ma...@swiftcamel.com>.
Mark Maunder wrote:

>  I've started using
> MySQL's MATCH/AGAINST with fulltext indexes instead, and it is extremelly
> fast (!!), but am waiting for a feature that's available in mysql 4.0 (due
> end of this month) that allows you to use +word and -word syntax to specify
> required or unwanted keywords. Also just as an asside, match/against only
> works with MyISAM tables so I've had to convert some of mine from InnoDB at
> the cost of losing transactions.

er - lo and behold, mysql 4.0 alpha has been released a few minutes ago by
Monty.
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html