Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/16 05:02:42 UTC

JPQL extensions

Hi,

Earlier today, I modified the JPQL parser to allow some extensions to
JPQL. I expect that there is other non-standard extended behavior
(JPQL and otherwise) in OpenJPA. It seems like it might be desirable
to have a property that controls whether or not OpenJPA allows
extended behavior.

I was thinking that a property like so could be useful:

    openjpa.JPAExtensions: true | false | warn

Thoughts?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
Another option would be to use the existing openjpa.Compatibility
configuration setting:

    openjpa.Compatibility: JPQL=[strict|warn|extended],
XSDValidation=[true|false|warn]

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

I don't like the ignore option. You get the wrong answer but we don't
tell you? No, thanks.

I like allow, warn, and error (even though error isn't a verb).

We also need to carefully read the JPA TCK compatibility rules.
"Extensions" that the specification *requires* to throw an error are
problematic.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Albert Lee <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Albert Lee.

RE: JPQL extensions

--
Albert Lee.

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Albert Lee <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Albert Lee.

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
Interesting discussion.  We're currently working with a customer that is
migrating from Hibernate to OpenJPA.  Having an option like this could be
useful in situations like this.  Although, since the JPA spec is not crystal
clear on a few aspects, some interpretation is left up to the beholder...
So, we may still run into some areas that are interpretted as extensions to
one vendor and as spec compliant to another.  Providing an option like for
OpenJPA would definitely help identify the processing that we think is spec
compliant.

Kevin

Re: JPQL extensions

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.