Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Srinivas Kashyap <sr...@bamboorose.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/22 16:39:45 UTC

Indexing huge data onto solr

Hi All,

We are runnnig solr 8.4.1. We have a database table which has more than 100 million of records. Till now we were using DIH to do full-import on the tables. But for this table, when we do full-import via DIH it is taking more than 3-4 days to complete and also it consumes fair bit of JVM memory while running.

Are there any speedier/alternates ways to load data onto this solr core.

P.S: Only initial data import is problem, further updates/additions to this core is being done through SolrJ.

Thanks,
Srinivas
________________________________
DISCLAIMER:
E-mails and attachments from Bamboo Rose, LLC are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail, and then delete it without making copies or using it in any way.
No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Disclaimer

Re: Indexing huge data onto solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
It Depends (tm). Often, you can create a single (albeit, perhaps complex)
SQL query that does this for you and just process the response.

I’ve also seen situations where it’s possible to hold one of the tables
in memory on the client and just use that rather than a separate query.

It depends on the characteristics of your particular database, your DBA
could probably help.

Best,
Erick

Posted by matthew sporleder <ms...@gmail.com>.
I can index (without nested entities ofc ;) ) 100M records in about
6-8 hours on a pretty low-powered machine using vanilla DIH -> mysql
so it is probably worth looking at why it is going slow before writing
your own indexer (which we are finally having to do)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.