Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/11/30 04:33:14 UTC

forrest won't build the site

jeff, i applied your patch and updated forrest from cvs head,
but the build of the site fails utterly:

  Setup... done.
  Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
   * [0]
  -> [broken link] index.html <-

  disposing... done.

as usual, the error message stuffed into index.html is useless.
it looks as though forrest isn't finding the source of the site
at ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/ -- is this due to some
recent change to forrest?  afaik, the site forrest.properties
file hasn't changed, so why isn't it finding the xml files?

Re: forrest won't build the site

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Did you rebuild?

yes.  then i wiped the forrest checkout, checked it out again, and
it builds the site fine.

so evidently there's some dependency screwup somewhere in forrest
itself; something is looking updated when it isn't.

Re: forrest won't build the site

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 07:19:27AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > Are you sure you have the very latest Forrest?
>
> yes:
>
> > > jeff, i applied your patch and updated forrest from cvs head,
>
> that was done minutes before i sent the mail.

Did you rebuild?

Not got an old version in your path somewhere?

I just checked out xml-forrest and incubator-site onto another box, and
they both build as expected.

--Jeff

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Are you sure you have the very latest Forrest?

yes:

> > jeff, i applied your patch and updated forrest from cvs head,

that was done minutes before i sent the mail.  are you working from
a branch?

> As of a few days ago, there should never be just [broken link] messages
> without a half-decent error message printed below.

sorry, what you see is what i got.

> For me, building incubator-site looks like:

nothing like that for me, as shown.  perhaps i should wipe out forrest
and re-install it.  if i continue to get the same behaviour, or if it

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 10:33:14PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> jeff, i applied your patch and updated forrest from cvs head,
> but the build of the site fails utterly:
>
>   Setup... done.
>   Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>    * [0]
>   -> [broken link] index.html <-

Are you sure you have the very latest Forrest?  As of a few days ago,
there should never be just [broken link] messages without a half-decent
error message printed below.  For me, building incubator-site looks like:

Setup... done.
Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
 * [28] index.html
 * [0] skin/page.css
 * [0] skin/images/spacer.gif
 * [0] skin/breadcrumbs.js
 * [0] images/group-logo.gif
 * [0] images/project-logo.gif
 * [0] skin/images/tabSel-left.gif
 * [0] skin/images/tabSel-right.gif
 * [0] skin/images/tab-left.gif
 * [25] drafts/index.html
 * [0] skin/images/tab-right.gif
 * [21] projects/index.html
 * [27] bylaws.html
 * [27] resolution.html
 * [27] whoweare.html
 * [27] process.html
 * [27] rules-for-revolutionaries.html
 * [0]
-> [broken page] forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf <-

     Resource not found file:/home/jeff/apache/incubator-site/buil
     d/tmp/context/content/xdocs/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_f
     orm.xml
  * [0] skin/images/menu-left.gif
 * [0] skin/images/menu-right.gif
 * [0] index.pdf
 * [0] skin/images/printer.gif
 * [0] skin/images/label.gif
 * [0] skin/images/page.gif
 * [0] skin/images/chapter.gif
 * [0] skin/images/chapter_open.gif
 * [0] skin/images/current.gif
 * [0] /favicon.ico
 * [27] drafts/glossary.html
 * [25] drafts/voting.html
 * [26] drafts/theapacheway.html
 * [25] drafts/newcommiters.html
 * [0] drafts/index.pdf
 * [0] projects/index.pdf
 * [0] bylaws.pdf
 * [0] resolution.pdf
 * [0] whoweare.pdf
 * [0] process.pdf
 * [0] rules-for-revolutionaries.pdf
 * [0] drafts/glossary.pdf
 * [0] drafts/voting.pdf
 * [0] drafts/theapacheway.pdf
 * [0]
-> [broken page] drafts/whoweare.html <-

     Resource not found file:/home/jeff/apache/incubator-site/buil
     d/tmp/context/content/xdocs/drafts/whoweare.xml

 * [0] drafts/newcommiters.pdf

disposing... done.

--Jeff

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> jeff, i applied your patch and updated forrest from cvs head,
> but the build of the site fails utterly:
>
>   Setup... done.
>   Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>    * [0]
>   -> [broken link] index.html <-
>
>   disposing... done.
>
> as usual, the error message stuffed into index.html is useless.
> it looks as though forrest isn't finding the source of the site
> at ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/ -- is this due to some
> recent change to forrest?  afaik, the site forrest.properties
> file hasn't changed, so why isn't it finding the xml files?

I have seen this confusing behaviour before too, both
with Forrest and Cocoon.

For the life of me i cannot remember how i fixed it
with Forrest. It was something obvious, like perhaps
cleaning the project's build directory
cd my-forrest-test/build; rm -r *

If anyone can repeat Ken's Forrest behaviour, then please
try this remedy.

--David

Re: forrest won't build the site

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.