Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Daniel Schierbeck <da...@zendesk.com.INVALID> on 2016/02/03 16:11:27 UTC

Announcing ruby-kafka v0.1

I've implemented a new Kafka client in Ruby:
https://github.com/zendesk/ruby-kafka

Currently I'm focusing on providing a rock solid Producer API (since that
was the use case prompting me to write my own library) including graceful
failure handling, improved logging and instrumentation. A Kafka 0.9
compatible Consumer API is on the roadmap.

I know that most Kafka users will probably be using the official Java
client, but if you use Ruby in your organization you may want to take a
look at ruby-kafka. Furthermore, I'd love to get any experienced developers
to take a look at the design, especially around error handling, retries,
etc. If there are questions that you feel aren't sufficiently answered by
the docs (http://www.rubydoc.info/github/zendesk/ruby-kafka/master) I'd
love to know – I want the docs to be comprehensive and usage-oriented.

The client is currently running in production at Zendesk, handling about
1,000 messages/s across our data centers.

Best regards,
Daniel Schierbeck

Re: Announcing ruby-kafka v0.1

Posted by Daniel Schierbeck <da...@zendesk.com.INVALID>.
Great, thanks!

Is the clients list specific to the Java client or is it also for non-JVM
clients?

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Daniel,

Awesome, Ruby folks could use more Kafka love! I added the library to the
clients list here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Clients#Clients-Ruby I'm
also cc'ing this to the clients list since I think they'd be interested as
well.

Lots of folks are using the Java clients, but many more are also using
non-Java clients and it's great to see more clients supported across many
languages. Even more compelling to see libraries deployed in production!

-Ewen

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Daniel Schierbeck <dasch@zendesk.com.invalid
> wrote:

> I've implemented a new Kafka client in Ruby:
> https://github.com/zendesk/ruby-kafka
>
> Currently I'm focusing on providing a rock solid Producer API (since that
> was the use case prompting me to write my own library) including graceful
> failure handling, improved logging and instrumentation. A Kafka 0.9
> compatible Consumer API is on the roadmap.
>
> I know that most Kafka users will probably be using the official Java
> client, but if you use Ruby in your organization you may want to take a
> look at ruby-kafka. Furthermore, I'd love to get any experienced developers
> to take a look at the design, especially around error handling, retries,
> etc. If there are questions that you feel aren't sufficiently answered by
> the docs (http://www.rubydoc.info/github/zendesk/ruby-kafka/master) I'd
> love to know – I want the docs to be comprehensive and usage-oriented.
>
> The client is currently running in production at Zendesk, handling about
> 1,000 messages/s across our data centers.
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel Schierbeck

Ewen