Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl> on 2003/02/19 22:52:58 UTC

Proposition of changes

I have following question related to problems I have signalized sometimes
ago
and which were not much disscussed.

1. Are there any plans to change the way maven plugins are documented?

I am sure that this is a crucial element  for creation of tools like
mavenide.

I see following scenario for embedding Maven in IDE:

a) user can chose which plugin(s) he/she wants to use
b) user can see/modify properties for plugins( properties of depended
plugins are also visible , but nothing else)
   Documentation of every of those properties is available.
c) user can start any goal from the goals visible in selected plugins +
project's maven.xml file

I believe that following things are needed for such tools

a) There is a parsable (I mean e.g. XML) documentation of goals (already
exists
b) There is a parsable documentation of all properties for plugins/maven
core
c) Plugins describe their dependencies on other plugins (this is needed to
set properties)

2. I have send a patch which in my opinion was solving some of problems
related to
   handling non jar artifacts. Are there any chances to see changes made on
this field?

 (see
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=turbine-maven-dev@jakart
a.apache.org&msgNo=7440)

I can volunteer to help to fix code I have sent to be fully usable.
I don't mind if there will be completely different design decision here, but
I will be more then happy
if such simple things finally will start to work correctly.

regards

Michal

P.S.

Should I use Jira for entering one of those 2 issues?

Re: Proposition of changes

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 11:03 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

<snip>

> I hope to cut beta-9 next week sometime. There's already been loads of
> bug fixes thanks to our aussie friends who don't seem to sleep and I
> should have forehead replace with classworlds for the classloader per
> plugin scenerio.

hi jason

just to let you know that the 1.6.1 beanutils release containing the bug
fix needed by maven is now available.

- robert

RE: Proposition of changes

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 17:30, Michal Maczka wrote:

> > It's noted and in the tasks file:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/tasks.html
> >
> > The link seems to have disappear off the site. I will put it back.
> >

> Thanks for info Jason!
> I supposed that this issue was not touched because of lack of time and
> rushing for
> long awaited release of beta8.
> Just hope that beta 9 will be out much faster  ;)

Yes, I ran into some roadblocks and of course the day job tends to be a
nuisance :-)

I hope to cut beta-9 next week sometime. There's already been loads of
bug fixes thanks to our aussie friends who don't seem to sleep and I
should have forehead replace with classworlds for the classloader per
plugin scenerio.

> regards
>

> Michal

jvz.