Posted to community@apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/01/23 04:58:01 UTC

Gump Spam (was Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?)

> I, for one, posted that Gump should be removed.  I believe several others
> chimed in with the same sentiment.  So, Thom wasn't alone in his
assessment
> in the situation.  And, as to whether non-ASF content should be blogged,
> there was discussion about that on the Planet - and the consensus I saw
was
> that we are interested in the person not their ASF activities.  -- justin

I think what caused me most surprise was that I missed the whole darn 'Shut
The Gump Up' conversation. If I'd known Gump was pissing folks off so much
I'd've pulled it myself (as I did that day when it was producing HTML w/ an
open table tag.) What is somewhat amusing is that Gump was pulled for
verbosity (and/or boringness) from conversations on a page that I've already
stopped reading due to it's verbosity/noise...

I know I'm a Neanderthal for saying it, but PlanetApache like this is
news://comp.apache w/o kill lists (except for Gump ;-) and as such I feel
for the folks trying to read it all. I do apologize for the Gump noise (and
I'll shut up after this, here also). I should've have experimented that way,
and cost you all filter time. I honestly thought it was content from the
community being returned to the community, to be shared, but I guess that
was a subjective view, a mistake & spam to many of you.

That said, although it is good for folks to "share & electronically bond"
via blogs, get to know the people -- not the work, I'd be more inclined to
read this if I could get at the work related content. I have enough friends,
I judge colleagues via their work/humorous postings not their anecdotes, but
for Apache-ites ... I'd love to learn their technical
insights/pontifications (if time affordable). I wrote a simple HTML page
aggregator (like PlantApache, only less pretty & for a local MT only) here
for internal use, and I added per category pages, which I think helps mental
filtering. If anybody endeavours to do the same for PlanetApache, I'd sure
be interested in using and/or helping. As it stands, unfiltered,
PlanetApache is too diverse/content rich for my blood...

Finally, any progress from anybody on FOAF type metadata at Apache? As I
said, I use PlanetApache to 'test out an author' (see if they
amuse/stimulate me) and I'd be just as fine w/ a FOAF chain of relationships
as the PlanetApache blog roll. I know many folks reference their blogs via
home pages on Apache's servers, but I'm curious about the whole social
networks side of things w.r.t an OSS community (or set of communities). I
feel there is a benefit for us in there, somehow/someway, and I'd be curious
to explore it...

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Gump Spam

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:58:01 -0700
(Subject: Gump Spam (was Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?))
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> > I, for one, posted that Gump should be removed.  I believe several others
> > chimed in with the same sentiment.  So, Thom wasn't alone in his
> assessment
> > in the situation.  And, as to whether non-ASF content should be blogged,
> > there was discussion about that on the Planet - and the consensus I saw
> was
> > that we are interested in the person not their ASF activities.  -- justin

> I think what caused me most surprise was that I missed the whole darn 'Shut
> The Gump Up' conversation. If I'd known Gump was pissing folks off so much
> I'd've pulled it myself (as I did that day when it was producing HTML w/ an
> open table tag.) What is somewhat amusing is that Gump was pulled for
> verbosity (and/or boringness) from conversations on a page that I've already
> stopped reading due to it's verbosity/noise...

I think it that Gump has a very weak "Van der Waals force" (^_^).
Maybe it is due to the fact that the messages (naggings) from Jakarta Gump
would never influence (be influenced) to/by the other subscribers'
opinions/participations. I'm plus one to opins from Justin/Thom etc.

However, do not be afraid. Perhaps you can create *new* "second planet"
for gumpy etc. (Before that, I'd like to see "Adam's blog", by the way :)
I do/did not think it that Gumpy naggings are/were noisy, however,
you might have to think of the weak "Van der Waals force" / "Gravity force"
with the other subscribers. Cheers.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

serendipity (Re: Gump Spam)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
Forgot to mention

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Finally, any progress from anybody on FOAF type metadata at Apache? As I
> said, I use PlanetApache to 'test out an author' (see if they
> amuse/stimulate me) and I'd be just as fine w/ a FOAF chain of relationships
> as the PlanetApache blog roll. I know many folks reference their blogs via
> home pages on Apache's servers, but I'm curious about the whole social
> networks side of things w.r.t an OSS community (or set of communities). I
> feel there is a benefit for us in there, somehow/someway, and I'd be curious
> to explore it...

Serendipity issue, by the way? Gathering news/items from various communities
(projects) might be interesting. Well, I can setup new domain within my company's
website. (philapache.org/unitedapache.org ? :)
Perhaps this *social* experiment would be rather hosted @ apache.org domain.

Do you have an idea?

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Gump Spam (was Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?)

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On Jan 22, 2004, at 7:58 PM, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Finally, any progress from anybody on FOAF type metadata at Apache? As
> said, I use PlanetApache to 'test out an author' (see if they
> amuse/stimulate me) and I'd be just as fine w/ a FOAF chain of
> relationships
> as the PlanetApache blog roll. I know many folks reference their blogs
> via
> home pages on Apache's servers, but I'm curious about the whole social
> networks side of things w.r.t an OSS community (or set of
> communities). I
> feel there is a benefit for us in there, somehow/someway, and I'd be
> curious
> to explore it...

FOAF style stuff is on my list in conjunction with Krell.  Also there
has been limited discussion with the other Planet operaters regarding
FOAF data.

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: http://www.sauria.com/blog
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42

Re: Gump Spam (was Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?)

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
I think a concise, dense, daily front-panel summary of what's up in
various regions of apache summed up from the output of various bots is
a delightful thing.  I think streaming it into planet apache is fine by
me.   I agree that Mr. Gump was running off at the mouth a bit much for
my taste; but I'd like to see something of his ilk return.  testing
isn't the only heartbeat that such a summary could roll up.

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Finally, any progress from anybody on FOAF type metadata at Apache?

krell will collect foaf links if they appear in the resource your url
mentioned.  I think three people currently have foaf files so
configured.  If you check out foaf (you will need to have LWP from CPAN
as well) and run it then the foaf file list will show up in the
directory of data scrapped by krell when you do a make.  The foaf data
currently captured is more like the root of a search.  Foaf still
hasn't gotten traction; barriers to entry are still too high.

On Jan 23, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
problem:
> What about those of us who never[1] write blogs?
solution?
> [1] OK, I did write one once when I was _really_ pissed off.

... ;-) just kidding

It would substantially more lame to presume that blogging was a
expected behavior of an ASF community member than to expect that
programming in a given language was.

   - ben

'#1=(nil.#1#)

Re: Gump Spam (was Re: Who decides who is 'worthy' for Planet Apache?)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Finally, any progress from anybody on FOAF type metadata at Apache? As I
> said, I use PlanetApache to 'test out an author' (see if they
> amuse/stimulate me) and I'd be just as fine w/ a FOAF chain of relationships
> as the PlanetApache blog roll. I know many folks reference their blogs via
> home pages on Apache's servers, but I'm curious about the whole social
> networks side of things w.r.t an OSS community (or set of communities). I
> feel there is a benefit for us in there, somehow/someway, and I'd be curious
> to explore it...

What about those of us who never[1] write blogs?

Cheers,

Ben.

[1] OK, I did write one once when I was _really_ pissed off.