Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Hugo <th...@voila.fr> on 2012/03/22 17:36:04 UTC

Orchestration with Camel

Hi everyone,

I am wondering which advantages I could have using Camel for orchestration
tasks (like sequence of webservices calls) rather than Apache ODE ?

The only point I am aware right now, it is : with Camel I can do it in java
(even if Camel wasnot initially created for orchestration) and with ODE it
uses BPEL language.

My architecture is based on the ESB ServiceMix using ActiveMQ to receive
business task, Camel to transport and Camel or ODE for orchestration.

There are some limitations using one or the other ? Could somebody provide
me a projects feedback of a similar case ?

If I've got a high traffic, there is an impact on the use of one or the
other framework ?

Thanks in advance,

RE: Orchestration with Camel

Posted by Hugo <th...@voila.fr>.
Thanks guys for your answers and feedbacks !!! ^^

Moreover, I think it's more easy to find resources with java knowledge than
BPEL knowledge.

I already did a little example of my use-case with Camel, it works
relatively easily.

RE: Orchestration with Camel

Posted by Omar Atia <om...@its.ws>.
Currently I have project to replace BPEL with activemq and Camel , avoid BPEL .

Enjoy the camel ride.

Thanks,

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Camel was created for message processing. One of typical usecase for
camel is business processes. The key points are:

* use of a higher level language to describe your business process: in
ODE you have BPEL, in camel you don't, but you have EIPs (via a DSL
supported in a few languages, including java and xml).
* camel is payload agnostic, can be any pojo, you can even use pojos for
processing data, ODE uses (ultimately) xsd defined types, so a bit more
complicated.
* camel is stateless (also scales better because of that), so if you
need state you'd have to handle that yourself. Camel offers a few
components that can help you with that though. ODE processes otoh are
stateful.

Bottom line, it depends on your process and what you want to do, how you
want to define (declare) your business logic, deploy, etc.

I hope this helps.
Hadrian

On 03/22/2012 12:36 PM, Hugo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am wondering which advantages I could have using Camel for orchestration
> tasks (like sequence of webservices calls) rather than Apache ODE ?
>
> The only point I am aware right now, it is : with Camel I can do it in java
> (even if Camel wasnot initially created for orchestration) and with ODE it
> uses BPEL language.
>
> My architecture is based on the ESB ServiceMix using ActiveMQ to receive
> business task, Camel to transport and Camel or ODE for orchestration.
>
> There are some limitations using one or the other ? Could somebody provide
> me a projects feedback of a similar case ?
>
> If I've got a high traffic, there is an impact on the use of one or the
> other framework ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,

Hadrian Zbarcea