Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/01/30 06:54:47 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.0.0 final release now available

The Xerces-J developer community is extremely proud to announce the
availability of Xerces-J 2.0.0.  This is the first production-quality
release of the Xerces2 Java XML parser.

This new version of Xerces introduces the Xerces Native Interface
(XNI), a complete framework for building parser components and
configurations that is extremely modular.  The Apache Xerces2 parser
is the reference implementation of XNI, but other parser components,
configurations, and parsers can be written using the Xerces Native
Interface.  XNI has achieved a high degree of stability, but changes
are still possible.

For application writers preferring to use standard DOM level 1, level
2, SAX 1.0 or 2.0 or JAXP 1.1 API's to process XML, Xerces-J V2
provides the same level of conformance as Xerces-J V1.  Xerces-J V2 now
comes in two jarfiles:  one, xmlParserAPIs.jar containing the
standard API's that are implemented, the other, xercesImpl.jar, the
implementation of those API's.  With this exception, users of
standard API's should find Xerces-J V2 to be a drop-in replacement for
Xerces-J V1.

In most cases, Xerces-J 2.0.0's various components are complete
rewrites of the corresponding functionality of Xerces-J V1.  The
implementation of the W3C schema specification in particular has
been rewritten so as to make schema construction faster and less
memory-intensive, and to remove the limitations that existed in the
Xerces-J V1 implementation.

For a complete list of changes that have been made in this release,
please see <http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/releases.html>.  The
release is available in both source and binary versions, as a zip file
and a tar-gzip archive, from <http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-j>.
To simplify the task of migrating from Xerces-J 1.x, we have also
retained binary packages (those name deprecatedXerces-J-bin.2.0.0)
containing the deprecated Xerces V1-style single
jarfile.

Enjoy!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

"Failed to read schema document" using new release of Xerces 2

Posted by Mark Lines-Davies <ml...@spd.sonybpe.com>.
Hi folks

I just downloaded the new Xerces 2 and did a test. I get the following
error...

[Error] schema_reference.4: Failed to read schema document 'any.xsd',
because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read;
3) the root element of the document is not <xsd:schema>.

I've got the external-schemaLocation property set, with a subclass
implementing the December bug fix for this. I've also got a subclass of
EntityResolver which was being called to resolve "any.xsd" when I used the
beta Xerces 2.

Going back to the beta JARs removes the error.

Is there something new I have to do?

regards

Mark Lines-Davies

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended
for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited