Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id> on 2013/08/30 06:01:28 UTC

Change public IP range assigned to system VMs

Dear all,

I am using CloudStack 4.1.1 with KVM hypervisors. I would like to change
the public IP address range used by the system VMs (i.e. SSVM and CPVM).

I went to CloudStack GUI > Infrastructure > Zones > Select my zone >
Physical Network > cloudbr0 (the cloud interface used for public IP) >
Public - Configure > IP Ranges.

I added the new range of public IP addresses (Gateway, Netmask, VLAN, Start
IP, End IP) and assigned to the "System" account, similar to the existing
public IP addresses. However, when I tried to delete the existing IP range,
I encounter this error message:

"The IP range can't be deleted because it has allocated public IP
addresses."

I tried to destroy the system VMs and quickly delete the existing IP range,
but still not able to do so since it seems that the system VMs are quickly
being re-created after being destroyed, and the system VMs are still using
the old IP range when re-created.

Note that I am using another different shared network range for the guest
VMs and the virtual routers

Is there a way how I can make system VMs to use the new IP range I have
added, so that I can safely delete the old IP range?

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

Re: Change public IP range assigned to system VMs

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Indra,

To change the public IPs you need to release all of them first, and as you have discovered the problem is they are being used by System VMs which get recreated as soon as you destroy them.

If you have no VRs using public IPs, then simply disable the zone and then destroy the System VMs.  Disabling the Zone will prevent them from being instantly recreated and grabbing a new Public IP.  Once they have been expunged the Public IPs will be released so you can then delete the existing range and add a new one.

If you do have VRs using public IPs this becomes trickier as you will also need to delete all of these as well.

However if your goal is to have system VMs using one Public IP range, and Guest VRs using another this is a lot trickier and is not what the system was designed to do.

You can allocate a block of Public IPs and a unique VLAN to an account, but you would need to do this for every account.  You then need to release the Public IPs the VRs have which came from the default IP Range leaving them with only their dedicated IPs.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com

On 31 Aug 2013, at 14:10, "Indra Pramana" <in...@sg.or.id>> wrote:

Dear all,

Anyone had changed their public IP allocation for the system VMs before and
can share some advice? :)

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>> wrote:

[...]

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Change public IP range assigned to system VMs

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Indra,

Due to the lack of response I assume not, personally if I had this issue, I
would familiarise myself with the database and do some manual edits (after
a backup of course!).

Marty

Posted by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id>.
Dear all,