Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by David Klim <da...@hotmail.com> on 2015/05/12 00:21:41 UTC

custom authentication for ListenHTTP Processor

Hello,
I have built most of our production flow in Nifi now. Part of the data is received from thousands of distributed components via the ListenHTTP processor. I now need to add some automatic registration for these components (this assigns some ID to the component) and enable authentication using the generated ID. Is this possible to implement with the current version? The registration could happen outside (maybe using Play), but the file reception should happen in Nifi in order to initiate the flow.
Any ideas are welcomed! :-)

Re: custom authentication for ListenHTTP Processor

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
David,

The ListenHTTP processor isn't so general purpose as to support custom
designed authentication and authorization schemes.  You could use it
to restrict who can provide data through use of HTTPS and specific
certificate DN patterns or to simply accept whatever data is brought
in and then have a follow-on processor in the flow choose to drop data
or not because it knows and trusts the source though.

If you want to be able to block data as a client component tries to
feed it to NiFi using a custom scheme then you'll probably want to
look at a custom processor or wire together the HandleHttpRequest and
HandleHttpResponse processors.  With those you can build a rather
custom and powerful API/interface and have it support your own chosen
authentication and authorization scheme on top of HTTP/S.  With those
processors if you understand HTTP well you can basically visually
construct a web service.  It requires the user to have a lot of
knowledge to get the most of out it though.

Thanks
Joe