Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net> on 2006/06/28 01:16:23 UTC

Upgrading to 1.4.x: are there nasty boobytraps?

I'm looking into upgrading a server from 1.3.1 to 1.4, as soon as it is
deployed. What are the boobytraps?

Re: Upgrading to 1.4.x: are there nasty boobytraps?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Robert Wenner <ro...@atsec.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 21:18, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
>>> If I were you, I'd wait until it's released, and read the README and
>>> release notes carefully.
>>
>> You may also want to wait until Subclipse, TortoiseSVN, and whatever
>> else you use do support the new WC format.
>
> And it's probably not a bad idea to set up a testing environment where
> you can check everything out in a sandbox, before unleashing it onto
> production.  "Subversion" being blamed for a failure due to your
> environment or code, which could have been prevent or avoided with
> some basic testing would be bad.

Umm. Guys? All of you have commented on the potential risks, and testing it
first, etc. I'm looking through the release notes in the trunk, which is up
to 1.4.x, and not seeing any server-side booby traps listed there: I'm
wondering if anyone has actually seen any *server side* surprises, so I can
plan ahead for them.

Re: Upgrading to 1.4.x: are there nasty boobytraps?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Wenner <ro...@atsec.com>.
On Tuesday 27 June 2006 21:18, Eric Hanchrow wrote:
> If I were you, I'd wait until it's released, and read the README and
> release notes carefully.

You may also want to wait until Subclipse, TortoiseSVN, and whatever else
you use do support the new WC format.

Robert

Re: Upgrading to 1.4.x: are there nasty boobytraps?

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Nico> I'm looking into upgrading a server from 1.3.1 to 1.4, as
    Nico> soon as it is deployed.  What are the boobytraps?

This isn't quite what you asked, but: upgrading _clients_ to 1.4 has
quite a big boobytrap: the working copy format will change,
incompatibly and silently, the first time you do (I think) "svn up"
with the new client.

--
When I just need to kick back after a long day of changing 1.s
into 0.s and 0.s into 1.s, nothing satisfies my primal fish urge