Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Rajiv Kurian <ra...@signalfx.com> on 2016/09/01 19:45:45 UTC

Kafka 9 consumer generates EOF exceptions when parsing responses

I've seen these before but we have recently moved to the 0.9 consumer code
for one of our big Kafka use cases and now we see about 1 million EOF
exceptions in a 5 minute period. This can't be very good for performance.
My guess is that these exceptions are expected since it uses
DataInputStream to parse.
Seems like doing explicit range checking would be a better way to go. Here
is a snapshot taken from Java Mission Control - http://imgur.com/a/DmCve

Thanks,
Rajiv