Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Erik Krogen <xk...@apache.org> on 2023/03/02 00:26:33 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.3.5 (RC2)

Hi folks, apologies for being late to the release conversation, but I think
we need to get HDFS-16923
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-16923> into
3.3.5. HDFS-16732 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-16732>, which
also went into 3.3.5, introduced an issue whereby Observer NameNodes will
throw NPE upon any getListing call on a directory that doesn't exist. It
will make Observer NN pretty much unusable in 3.3.5. Zander put up a patch
for this and it has been merged to trunk/branch-3.3 as of a few minutes
ago. I'd like to see about merging to branch-3.3.5 as well.

Thanks for the consideration and sorry for not bringing this up in RC1 or
earlier.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
well, lets see what others say.

we don't want to ship stuff with serious regression to hdfs.

I will highlight that I am completely fed up with doing this  release and
really want to get it out the way -for which I depend on support from as
many other developers as possible.

Erik, right now what you can help by doing is test all the rest of the
release knowing that this issue exists and seeing if you can identify
anything else. That way this update will be the sole blocker and we can get
through that next RC with nothing else surfacing.

I had noticed that the arm64 release somehow missed out the native binaries
and was going to investigate that but didn't consider that a blocker… I was
just going to cut that artefact and, post Darcy, create a new arm64 release
using all the jars of the x86 build but replacing the x86 native libs with
the arm versions. This helps ensure that the JAR files in the wild all
match, which strikes me as a good thing.

Can I also encourage people in the HFS team to put their hand up and
volunteer for leading the next release, with a goal of getting something
out later this year.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.