Posted to user@flink.apache.org by aviad <ro...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/02 11:52:41 UTC

hadoopInputFormat and elasticsearch

Hi,

I want to write batch job which reads data from *elasticsearch* using
*elasticsearch-hadoop* (https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch-hadoop/)
and *hadoopInputFormat*

example code (from
https://github.com/genged/flink-playground/blob/master/src/main/java/com/mic/flink/FlinkMain.java):

elasticsearch-hadoop creates one Hadoop InputSplit (tasks) per Elasticsearch
shard.
so if my index have 20 shards, it will be split to 20 InputSplit

/My question is:/
What will happen if my job restart (failover) after finishing half of the
InputSplit's ?
Does hadoopInputFormat remember which InputSplit are finished and knows how
to continue from where it stopped? (maybe read from beginning of unfinished
InputSplit? ) or it starts from the beginning?

thanks

Re: hadoopInputFormat and elasticsearch

Posted by Andrey Zagrebin <an...@data-artisans.com>.
Hi,

At the moment if the processing of any data input split fails,
Flink will restart the batch job completely from scratch.

There is an ongoing effort to improve fine-grained recovery in FLINK-4256.

Best,
Andrey