Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/07/22 06:18:24 UTC

[compress] Proposed Roadmap

Hi all,

>From the responses in the Java5 thread I propose the following.

(1) Release current trunk minus a few lines of code I already added for
    initial Zip64 support plus some minor changes ASAP as 1.2

(2) Require Java5, use minimal Java5 language features to make compiler
    warnings go away, Zip64 and Pack200, maybe some other JIRAs,
    release 1.3

(3) Completely embrace Java5, use generics and enums, switch package
    name to compress2 and tackle the backwards incompatible changes we'd
    like to take.

This is not a vote, yet, but if there seems to be consensus I volunteer
to be the release manager of the next release and drive the process with
a more concrete proposal for the 1.2 release.

Sure, I've never done any release in Commons before (or performed any
release with mvn at all) so this may slow down the whole process by a
few days and make me ask embarassing questions, but I think we can live
with that.

As far as timeline goes, I see the 1.2 release really soon as in "next
week" while 1.3 probably is a few weeks of coding away.  Right now my
available time comes in bursts and I have a pretty clear picture of how
to implement Zip64 but cannot reliably estimate when it will be ready.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Proposed Roadmap

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Snappy looks pretty cool!
I created an issue for it:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-147

Without a fix version ;-)

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: [compress] Proposed Roadmap

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hallo Stefan!!!
I think it would be nice having also s pure Java implementation of the
Snappy[1] compression (the Google's compression), I found a Java
implementation[2] but it's JNI wrapper :/
WDYT? Unfortunately my C++ skills are horrible but I'm available to help :P
Alles gute!, all the best,
Simo

[1] http://code.google.com/p/snappy/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/snappy-java/

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 July 2011 05:18, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> From the responses in the Java5 thread I propose the following.
>
> (1) Release current trunk minus a few lines of code I already added for
>    initial Zip64 support plus some minor changes ASAP as 1.2
>
> (2) Require Java5, use minimal Java5 language features to make compiler
>    warnings go away, Zip64 and Pack200, maybe some other JIRAs,
>    release 1.3
>
> (3) Completely embrace Java5, use generics and enums, switch package
>    name to compress2 and tackle the backwards incompatible changes we'd
>    like to take.
>
> This is not a vote, yet, but if there seems to be consensus I volunteer
> to be the release manager of the next release and drive the process with
> a more concrete proposal for the 1.2 release.

Sounds good in general.

However, I'm not sure one can prevent the compiler warnings without
either adding generics or adding @SuppressWarnings to the classes
(which will later need to be removed, so any such additions should be
flagged as temporary). We shall see.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
sounds good :-)

http://www.grobmeier.de