Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by Prasanna Bala <ba...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/10 08:14:31 UTC

ICD9 code resolving..

Hi,

I have some clarifications regarding ICD9 code. I found that cTakes uses
different mapping technique to resolve the entities from the diagnosis. I
want to know how they are doing this for ICD9. When I run the code, in the
output it is showing the various tagged entities with SNOMED CT code. But
my question, why I am not able to access the ICD9 code. I found that ICD9
code is used internally by the cTakes for finding the entities. How can I
find the IC9 code for the entities ? Can you please tell me if there is any
module which is using ICD9 code in the cTakes. I need to pipeline the ICD9
code also separately.

Regards,
Prasanna

Re: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by Prasanna Bala <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for late response. You mean can we can include LOINC code also. I am
quite excited about building a ontology mapping for
SNOMEDCT/LOINC. I am looking at several use case. I found from this link,
they have a list of comprehensive ontology relations that can be built.
Wonder if we can bring this into cTakes because there will be many people
getting benefits from this. Currently there is no clear mapping solutions
for LOINC/SNOMED. Yours thoughts on this. Thank for providing clear
insights.

Regards
Prasanna.

RE: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Prasanna,
There is also one quick trick to note that wouldn't require code changes and just a
single line change in your LookupDesc_Db.xml.
This works because as James mentioned ICD9/10 text/code is included for
lookup purposes, so in theory when you normalize CUI's to all of the SNOMED
codes, you can just reuse the lookup table as the mapping table and trim to
ICD9/10 codes as well.
i.e.
Within your UmlsToSnomedDbConsumerImpl settings in the LookupDesc_Db.xml:
Change the SQL to:
select code from umls_ms_2011ab where cui=? and sourcetype='ICD9CM'

However, depending on your use case and if this is prod, Guergana's
suggestion is probably optimal though.

Also see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ctakes-dev/201309.mbox/%3C924DE05C19409B438EB81DE683A942D9105B4EA0%40CHEXMBX1A.CHBOSTON.ORG%3E

________________________________

RE: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by "Savova, Guergana" <Gu...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Re: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by Prasanna Bala <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

RE: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by "Savova, Guergana" <Gu...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Re: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by Prasanna Bala <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: ICD9 code resolving..

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
OK, thanks James. Does that mean there is an implicit map lookup somewhere in ctakes from snomed/umls to icd9?

The ICD9 codes themselves, such as 726.72, are not used, but the text of ICD9 code descriptions, such as “tibialis tendinitis”, are used by dictionary lookup.

RE: ICD9 code resolving..

RE: ICD9 code resolving..