Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Henry Cai <hc...@pinterest.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/07 07:46:28 UTC

Identity Mirroring

I saw this feature mentioned in the cloudera blog post:
https://blog.cloudera.com/a-look-inside-kafka-mirrormaker-2/

High Throughput Identity Mirroring
The batch does not need to be decompressed and compressed and deserialized
and serialized if nothing had to be changed.  Identity mirroring can have a
much higher throughput than the traditional approach. This is another
feature that will be coming soon in MM2.

Is this feature already implemented in MM2?  Is there a KIP or JIRA
associated with the feature?

Re: Identity Mirroring

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hey Henry, this was done with MM1 at LinkedIn at one point, but it requires
support for shallow iteration in KafkaConsumer, which was removed from
Apache Kafka a long time ago. Given recent talk of breaking changes in
Kafka 3.0, this might be a good time to revisit this.

Ryanne