Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/25 12:21:25 UTC

Commons-rng job failing (was: CP43 and Java 6)

On 25 January 2018 at 11:57, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 11:44:49 +0000, sebb wrote:

>> There are two ways to compile of Java 6:
>>
>> Build with Java 6
>> Build with a later version, but use the profile: -Pjava-1.6
>

> FTR: this does not seem to work anymore on Jenkins: Job
> "commons-rng" had been failing for many days without notice.

What do you mean by 'without notice'?
- no notification to the mailing lists
- no-one seems to care about the failures
- something else?

And what is the failure?

AFAICT Commons-RNG is not using Java 6 so if there is a problem
related to Jenkins it is something different from problems using
-Pjava-1.6 which I assume also occur for local builds.

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 January 2018 at 14:50, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>

>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1b83c6a87eefcd374901067b969e433bb226c5e3b6e56930cab2aa99@%3Cdev.commons.apache.org%3E
>>
>> However upgrades since then means that Java 8 is now the minimum.
>

> Then why can one still choose anything below that (in the "JDK to be
> used for this project" drop menu)?

That is really a question for the Jenkins devs or perhaps Infra

But AFAIK non-Maven build types may work with earlier Java versions.

>>> That perhaps it is not possible to run under Java 6 when the
>>> tools require Java 7 or above...
>>

>> Not so, see above (Commons NET)
>

> OK; I think I understood now: the build suite is Java 8 but the
> profile calls an older "javac" only for compiling the source.
> Correct?

It also uses the older java for running tests.

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 January 2018 at 13:47, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 13:21:06 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> Day "d", it worked; day "d+1" it didn't. No config change performed
>>> by me.  Remarks noted in the job description, not by me (by INFRA
>>> people?).

>>> Do you mean the library, or the Jenkins job (as currently configured)?
>>>
>>> The source code is certainly Java 6-compatible.
>>

>> OK, I was fooled by the Jenkins -Pjava-1.8 setting.
>>
>>> A couple of days ago, I changed the Jenkins config to use JDK 8.

>>> The POM directs the compiler to produce Java 6-compatible bytecode;
>>> a local check confirmed that the class version was "50.0".
>>

>> Yes, but it won't necessarily detect Java7+ syntax or methods.

>>> I suppose that Jenkins is there so that the projects can be compiled
>>> and checked for compatibility in various consistent environments.
>>

>>> When configuring for Java 6, the following error occurs:
>>> ---CUT---
>>>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>>> jenkins/maven3/agent/Maven35Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
>>> ---CUT---
>>>
>>> I seem to recall that newer versions of Jenkins and/or maven
>>> required Java 7 (?).
>>

>> Yes, that has been noted a few times on this list.
>>
>> Jenkins needs Java 7+

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1b83c6a87eefcd374901067b969e433bb226c5e3b6e56930cab2aa99@%3Cdev.commons.apache.org%3E

However upgrades since then means that Java 8 is now the minimum.

>> So jobs that are targeted a Java 6 need special config e.g. with
>> -Pjava-1.6
>> Again, I think that was reported on this list a few months back.
>

> That was my point above.
> It worked when the config was modified according to the report.
>
> Then, when I looked again a few days ago: build fails.
> And unless I'm mistaken, no other _notice_ was reported here that
> we should again update the Jenkins jobs.
>
> Is there any project that still uses a Java 6 config on Jenkins?

Commons NET uses -Pjava-1.6

Just triggered a build and it worked fine

https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Commons/job/commons-net/85/

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 January 2018 at 13:01, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:21:25 +0000, sebb wrote:

>>> FTR: this does not seem to work anymore on Jenkins: Job
>>> "commons-rng" had been failing for many days without notice.
>>

>> What do you mean by 'without notice'?
>> - no notification to the mailing lists
>> - no-one seems to care about the failures
>> - something else?
>

> Day "d", it worked; day "d+1" it didn't. No config change performed
> by me.  Remarks noted in the job description, not by me (by INFRA
> people?).
>
>> And what is the failure?
>>
>> AFAICT Commons-RNG is not using Java 6
>

> Do you mean the library, or the Jenkins job (as currently configured)?
>
> The source code is certainly Java 6-compatible.

OK, I was fooled by the Jenkins -Pjava-1.8 setting.

> A couple of days ago, I changed the Jenkins config to use JDK 8.

> The POM directs the compiler to produce Java 6-compatible bytecode;
> a local check confirmed that the class version was "50.0".

Yes, but it won't necessarily detect Java7+ syntax or methods.

>> so if there is a problem
>> related to Jenkins it is something different from problems using
>> -Pjava-1.6 which I assume also occur for local builds.
>

> I suppose that Jenkins is there so that the projects can be compiled
> and checked for compatibility in various consistent environments.

> When configuring for Java 6, the following error occurs:
> ---CUT---
>   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> jenkins/maven3/agent/Maven35Main : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
> ---CUT---
>
> I seem to recall that newer versions of Jenkins and/or maven
> required Java 7 (?).

Yes, that has been noted a few times on this list.

Jenkins needs Java 7+

So jobs that are targeted a Java 6 need special config e.g. with -Pjava-1.6
Again, I think that was reported on this list a few months back.

> Perhaps it could work with older versions of maven (?). But
> how to concile old maven with new plugins (and keep up with
> "commons-parent")?

Not sure what you mean here.

Re: Commons-rng job failing

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.