Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/28 04:53:40 UTC

Where is the Drill Explorer and / or docs on installing it?

Hi,

The docs refer to the Drill Explorer, which for OS X is supposed to be
located in the Applications folder:
https://drill.apache.org/docs/connecting-drill-explorer-to-data/

But there is no mention in the documentation on how to install this tool (I
think)?  Are the docs referring to and old version of Drill, perhaps?

Thanks,

Peder J.

Re: Where is the Drill Explorer and / or docs on installing it?

Posted by Paul Ilechko <pi...@maprtech.com>.
I had a similar problem when I first starting using the Drill Explorer, and
the issues was that I had to install the iODBC driver, which did not come
with Drill. You can get it here:

http://www.iodbc.org/dataspace/iodbc/wiki/iODBC/Downloads

--
----------------------------------
Paul Ilechko

Re: Where is the Drill Explorer and / or docs on installing it?

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.
I had trouble installing iODBC on the Mac. It was a while ago and on a
relatively clean (ODBC-clean) Mavericks. I think I had to go to SourceForce
and use the tarball because the DMG was flakey. I think I did some reading
between the lines about where unpack the tarball or set up the manager, or
something.

Since the process seemed like a hack and impossible to maintain over time
in the docs, I decided not to cover it. The versions of Mac and iODBC are
constantly changing. We don't have a suitable lab that writers can use to
test all the different versions, but of course, I'll be glad to give it a
shot. Anything might be better than just relying on iODBC documentation.

To really simplify things for users, how about including the iODBC manager
in the Drill driver?

Kristine Hahn
Sr. Technical Writer
415-497-8107 @krishahn skype:krishahn

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Ilechko <pi...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.

Posted by George Chow <ge...@overcoil.com>.

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Paul Ilechko <pi...@maprtech.com>.
OSX here: http://drill.apache.org/docs/installing-the-driver-on-mac-os-x/

But it assumes that you have already installed iODBC, as of last time I
used it.

--
Paul Ilechko

Re: Where is the Drill Explorer and / or docs on installing it?

Posted by Matt <bs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.
Please see step 1 of

Posted by Andries Engelbrecht <ae...@maprtech.com>.