Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "gerald.park@gtnexus.com" <ge...@gtnexus.com> on 2013/07/18 23:48:32 UTC

Getting this error upon trying to install and configure Hive

Hi there!

So a little background. I've been trying to setup Hive on a CentOS 6 machine.
I followed the instructions of this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lSrHsRpOI

For my case, I'm using Hadoop-1.1.2 and Hive-0.9.0, all the directories labeled "mnt" in this video I replaced it with "opt" because that's where all of my hadoop and hive packages have been opened up.

As I reached the portion of the video where I was actually supposed to run Hive via "./hive" this error popped up:

    "Cannot find hadoop installation: $HADOOP_HOME must be set or hadoop must be in the path"

I guess one of the questions I have is, in which directory did I have to edit the ".profile" file? because I don't understand why we would have to go to the "home" directory for this change. And also if this helps, this is what I had put down in the ".profile" file in my /home/hadoop directory

    export HADOOP_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hadoop
    export HIVE_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hive
    export PATH=$HADOOP_HOME/bin:$HIVE_HOME/bin

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Gerald Park

Re: Getting this error upon trying to install and configure Hive

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM, gerald.park@gtnexus.com <
gerald.park@gtnexus.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> So a little background. I've been trying to setup Hive on a CentOS 6
> machine.
> I followed the instructions of this Youtube video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lSrHsRpOI
>
> For my case, I'm using Hadoop-1.1.2 and Hive-0.9.0, all the directories
> labeled "mnt" in this video I replaced it with "opt" because that's where
> all of my hadoop and hive packages have been opened up.
>
> As I reached the portion of the video where I was actually supposed to run
> Hive via "./hive" this error popped up:
>
>     "Cannot find hadoop installation: $HADOOP_HOME must be set or hadoop
> must be in the path"
>
> I guess one of the questions I have is, in which directory did I have to
> edit the ".profile" file? because I don't understand why we would have to
> go to the "home" directory for this change. And also if this helps, this is
> what I had put down in the ".profile" file in my /home/hadoop directory
>
>     export HADOOP_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hadoop
>     export HIVE_HOME=/opt/hadoop/hive
>     export PATH=$HADOOP_HOME/bin:$HIVE_HOME/bin
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gerald Park

You should direct your question to the Hive project mailing list :
http://hive.apache.org/mailing_lists.html

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende