Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Jayaram Subramanian <rs...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/01 13:09:59 UTC

Apache mentoring program

Hi,
I am an IT professional trying to build my career in Java and i want to be a
mentee under Katherine Marsden in Apache mentoring program. Please let me
know of any other things required.

With Regards
Jayaram

Re: Apache mentoring program

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I've written an initial outline for the writing of a proposal on our
> webiste.
Thank you Ross for the outline.  The only modifications I would make
would be to add a planned  start date,  mid-term evaluation date, and
end date and maybe make it more of a template so we get a consistent format.

Re: Apache mentoring program

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please don't top-post.

Did I top-post? I meant to empty my buffer and type in a new message.

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest one jira project called MENTOR, and another called COMDEV. I
>> think we should present brand new mentees with as little jargon as
>> possible.

The Mentor program description I've been editing calls for mentees to
keep track of their code changes. My idea here was to create a MENTOR
project in JIRA, and open a JIRA for each mentee project, and then
connect the commits via FIshEye. I don't know if anyone else likes
this, so you're probably right that this is premature.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
Please don't top-post.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> 2009/12/7 Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> Jayaram Subramanian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Thanks for the opportunity given to me  for submitting my proposal. Also
>>> as explained below i have subscribed myself to apache dev group.  Please
>>> find the attached proposal text file.
>>>

>> Thank you Jayaram.  The proposal looks fine to me and as we discussed on the
>> dev list  is I think a good amount of work for the time alloted.  The start
>> date is good too as I will be out from Dec 21 - Jan 3.
>> I don't know if we reached agreement on a method for submitting proposals.
>> Is it ok for Jayaram to go ahead and file a Jira issue for this?
>>

> +1

Does someone have admin privs to add components to Jira for COMDEV. I
would like to add a  MENTORING_PROJECT component and there should
probably be one for WEBSITE and perhaps OUTREACH.

For MENTORING_PROJECT's, it might be interesting to look at the work
flow options in Jira too so we can record acceptance, mid-term review
submitted, passed etc.

I have not played with the admin functions of Jira before but would be
willing to volunteer as admin and look at what COMDEV specific we need
if that seems appropriate.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Apache mentoring program

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@googlemail.com>.
2009/12/7 Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>:
> Jayaram Subramanian wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for the opportunity given to me  for submitting my proposal. Also
>> as explained below i have subscribed myself to apache dev group.  Please
>> find the attached proposal text file.
>>

> Thank you Jayaram.  The proposal looks fine to me and as we discussed on the
> dev list  is I think a good amount of work for the time alloted.  The start
> date is good too as I will be out from Dec 21 - Jan 3.
> I don't know if we reached agreement on a method for submitting proposals.
> Is it ok for Jayaram to go ahead and file a Jira issue for this?

+1

we probably need to formalise the acceptance policy, but for this firs
tone lets go with lazy consensus since Kathey is a ComDev PMC member
(I guess I should post the vote results before saying that ;-)

Ross

Re: Apache mentoring program

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Jayaram Subramanian <rs...@gmail.com>.