Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Rob Stewart <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/21 17:00:40 UTC

Hive, Pig and JAQL Computability

Hi,

I have a question, in a remark that Alan Gates made a few months ago on the
Pig mailing lists regarding the computability and expressibility of Pig,
Hive, and the MapReduce model.

In particular, it was a question regarding the Turing computability of each.

Is anyone able to remark on my discussion of this in my forthcoming paper
(this is just a small extract). I am pretty confident as to where I have put
Pig and Hive, quite confident with JAQL (I've checked it out with the JAQL
dev's), and far less sure of my assessment of the MapReduce model (only
relationally complete??)

Find it here:
http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~rs46/dropbox/computability.pdf

I would greatly appreciate any comments of pointers to any inaccuracies.

thanks,

Rob Stewart

Re: Hive, Pig and JAQL Computability