Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Adziashvili, Itzik" <It...@polycom.co.il> on 2002/08/25 16:12:52 UTC

Max Http Connection on Tomcat4.0

Hi all,

I am trying to determine the maximum number of simultaneous Http connections
to Catalina.
In order to do so I have written a simple served that
 - Accepts a request (overrides only the service )
 - Reads some data from the request (128 bytes)
 - Sleeps for 20 secs
 - Writes random response (128 bytes)

I am connecting to the servlet using an http client based on the java.net
package. My client holds hundreds of threads to  simultaneously connect to
the server. Connections are closed after each request.

Catalina's server.xml was configured accordingly:

               acceptCount="1000" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

Catalina was also allocated enough memory (RAM) for runtime (judging by the
performance monitor, it's memory usage was relatively low)

I tested the server on two different hardware configurations:

1) PIII - 533MHZ ; 512 MB
2) Compaq Server - Dual CPU PIII 866 each ; 512 MB

I am using J2SE 1.4.0_01 both on server and client side.

The results were almost identical ~600. After this numbers I got connect
refused exception.

I know the Catalina should hold more than 600 connections in the same time,
I tried it my self using C++ client. I got 3,000 without a refusal and then
stopped the test.

Any one have an idea?
Is it a problem in the HttpURLConnection class? URLConnection?
did any one test this number yet?

IKA