Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by rickpelletier <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 21:32:34 UTC

The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found

Hi, I am trying to work through the ServiceMix tutorials, but I am
encountering this error when I try to run mvn jbi:projectDeploy (I get this
error no matter what I try to deploy, I've posted a simplified project
here):

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Tutorial
[INFO]   Tutorial :: File SU
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jbi'.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 22 15:21:01 EST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/4M
[INFO]

I have tried the following based on other forum posts with this error:

1)  deleted the maven repository
2)  added the following to my pom.xml file:

          org.apache.servicemix.tooling
          jbi-maven-plugin
          ${servicemix-version}
          true

3)  added the following to my maven settings.xml file:

  			maven2-repository.dev.java.net
		  	Java.net Repository for Maven
  			http://download.java.net/maven/2/
  			default

None of these seem to have affected anything, I am still getting the exact
same error message.

I am using ServiceMix 3.2.1, Maven 2.0.8

Thanks a million in advance if anybody can help me with this, I need to get
this project started!

PS I've attached the mvn -e output below in case it'll help...

Rick

+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Tutorial
[INFO]   Tutorial :: File SU
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jbi'.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1286)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1522)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:138)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
	at
	at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException:
The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist or no
valid version could be found
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:229)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:91)
	at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:167)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1257)
	... 14 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 22 15:31:15 EST 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/4M
[INFO]

Re: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.
Maven looks in org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-<pluginprefix>-plugin as a
last resort when the plugin isn't resolved through the pom.xml plugin
dependencies.  So that is why you saw the odd plugin info in the error.  It
does seem like the metadata might be screwed up, so you might try deleting
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/servicemix/tooling/maven-metadata-local.xml
and possibly
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/servicemix/tooling/jbi-maven-plugin/maven-
metadata-local.xml

Your plugin dependency in the pom.xml looks good, so I don't have any other
ideas at the moment.

I don't fully understand everything that happens with maven and plugin
resolution, but I have had to take these steps before while developing other
plugins.

Good luck,
Chris

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Rick,

I already explicitly added the "cd tutorial-sa" to the box that contains
the mvn command to make this more clear.  The change is already in the
wiki on
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/2.5.+Beginner+-+Deploying+the+service+assembly
and should be published to the website soon.

Thank you for the feedback,

Gert

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Rick,

Are you perhaps running the 'mvn jbi:projectDeploy' from your project's
root directory?  This command should be run from the tutorial-sa
directory, because the root pom.xml file doesn't define the jbi plugin.

Gert

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Rick,

The JBI plugin's groupId is org.apache.servicemix.tooling, that's why you
can't find it in the central repository under the the URL you mentioned.
Normally, this kind of error happens when you haven't configured the plugin
in your pom.xml, but since you're following the tutorials, I suppose you are
using the Maven archetypes so it should be there...

Which pom.xml files contain the <plugin/> snippet you mentioned earlier in
this thread?  What is the value of the ${servicemix-version} property?

Gert

rickpelletier wrote:

> I think I might have figured what is causing this error, but I have no
> idea what to do about it... the
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\rpelletier\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-jbi-plugin\maven-metadata-central.xml
> file contains no <version> nodes.  In addition, I browsed to the
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/ folder (I think
> that's the central repository?), and I notice that there is not even a
> folder for maven-jbi-plugin!
>
> Anyway, I think that's why I am getting this error, but since I am new to
> java, I don't know if that means that the project has been deprecated or
> canceled or something or if this is just an error on the server side
> somewhere, or...
>
> Any help explaining this is greatly appreciated!
>
> Rick

-----
---
Gert Vanthienen
http://www.anova.be

Re: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jbi-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found