Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/03/31 02:09:40 UTC

New Avalon MDS Facility

Hello.

I just committed the beginnings of an Avalon MDS (Message Driven
Service) facility.  It allows Merlin to handle JMS MessageListener
components.  It is based on my earlier PhoenixMDS extension.  You can
find the code in CVS:  /avalon/merlin/facilities/mds

Couple of things:

  - It definitely has bugs.  In fact, I'm having trouble getting Merlin
to launch it.  But I figured rather that hold up the process I'd commit
what I have.

  - It uses Jakarta commons-messenger which is still in the sandbox.  I
imagine if we express and interest and willingness, we might be able to
get commons-messenger out with a 1.0 release.

  - No test coverage yet.  No real docs either.  But the beginnings of
an example are in the test directory.

It's really rough around the edges, but it will be nice once we get it
working.  In fact, I can see the facilities coming along wonderfully.
Eventually we could have something like: HTTP, JMS, JMX, AltRMI, DB and
more!

-- jaaron

Re: New Avalon MDS Facility

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just committed the beginnings of an Avalon MDS (Message Driven
> Service) facility.  It allows Merlin to handle JMS MessageListener
> components.  It is based on my earlier PhoenixMDS extension.  You can
> find the code in CVS:  /avalon/merlin/facilities/mds

Thanks!  I'm very interested in this facility.  I used it quite a bit
with the pre-3.2.x Merlin releases.  Great potential.  Along with the
HTTP facility, I'm motivated to help get this ready.

> Couple of things:
>
>  - It definitely has bugs.  In fact, I'm having trouble getting Merlin
> to launch it.  But I figured rather that hold up the process I'd commit
> what I have.

A trait some of us (like me) have yet to get a grasp on...

>  - It uses Jakarta commons-messenger which is still in the sandbox.  I
> imagine if we express and interest and willingness, we might be able to
> get commons-messenger out with a 1.0 release.

I like the use of commons-messenger.  It made for a simple interface to
implement in order to build a message-driven component.  In fact, with
commons-messenger, you don't have to know much about the JMS api at all.
  Simple from the component developer's view point.  A definite plus in
my book.

>  - No test coverage yet.  No real docs either.  But the beginnings of an
> example are in the test directory.

I've got some things I can probably contribute as examples as well,
since I played with it a few months ago.

> It's really rough around the edges, but it will be nice once we get it
> working.  In fact, I can see the facilities coming along wonderfully.
> Eventually we could have something like: HTTP, JMS, JMX, AltRMI, DB and
> more!

Yep.  We have a nice set of facilities shaping up that ought to give us
the foundation to build a application server if that is your fancy.

-- Timothy