Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2015/03/10 17:06:50 UTC

Re: release nearly ready

It looks like the code development is just about done.  I'd be comfortable
creating a release candidate.  We are not ready to create a release at this
point due to documentation that needs to be completed but creating a
candidate now would allow testing of the final code.  If everyone agrees,
Josh, as release manager, could you please start this process?

Regarding documentation, I'd be willing to help manage this.  There are
some obvious things we need to complete before a release can officially be
created.  We need to go through the issues for 2.4 and identify items which
need to be documented prior to the release.  This is something that anyone
in the community can help with.  Please help out!

I propose the following (any additional ideas and comments are extremely
welcome):
Rather than reopen issues for which the development has been done, create a
sub-task for each issue with missing or inadequate documentation.  Start by
going through all of the issued tagged for 2.4:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12329344

Some issues don't require any additional documentation such as a
behind-the-scenes bug fix.  Anything that a user or administrator will
interact with or configure needs to be documented.  If this is the case,
try to locate the documentation.  If the documentation exists and is
adequate, please add a comment to the Jira issue saying you reviewed it
with a link to the documentation.  If the documentation does not exist, is
too difficult to find, or is inadequate:
* Click "More" --> "Create Sub-Task"
* Select Component: documentation
* If the documentation is obviously required prior to the release of 2.4,
select "Fix Version": 2.4
* If you aren't sure if the documentation is required prior to the release
of 2.4, ask the dev@vcl.apache.org list
* If the documentation is not required prior to the release of 2.4, leave
"Fix Version" blank

For anyone working on any of the documentation sub-tasks:
* Choose an issue needing work:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12330732
* Begin by clicking "Start Progress"
* Be sure to include a link to the documentation in the issue comments so
that others can easily review it
* When you as the original documentation creator feel it is done, click
"Close Issue".  DO NOT click "Resolve Issue"!!!  The sub-task should be
closed first, then resolved when someone else reviews it.

All documentation should be reviewed.  The person who implemented the code
may make assumptions or rely on personal knowledge not known to the users
of the documentation so it is beneficial to have at least one other person
review the work before resolving the issue.  It's also beneficial to have
at least one other set of eyes review the documentation to check the
grammar/spelling and general quality.

To review the documentation:
* Choose an issue with documentation needing review:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12330730
* Review the documentation. If you have access to edit it directly, do so
but be sure to explain the changes by adding a comment to the Jira issue.
If you don't have access, list the changes that need to be made either in a
Jira issue comment or in a comment on the related Confluence page. Either
way, add a Jira comment.
* Once the documentation is satisfactory, click "Resolve Issue" on the Jira
documentation sub-task.  Don't resolve any issues unless you are confident
that the documentation is adequate.  If you are unsure, ask the dev list.

If anyone finds a documentation issue that has been resolved but thinks it
still needs to be improved, reopen the issue and add a Jira comment.  The
procedures to review the documentation should be repeated.  The people
responsible for initially resolving the issue should view and respond to
the comments.  This really shouldn't happen very often.  If it becomes a
pattern that issues have to be reopened, the problems with the process or
with how people are handling things should be brought up on the dev list.

Thoughts, comments, questions?

I plan to work on some of the issues I primarily implemented starting
today, beginning with the NAT support:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-174

Thank You,
Andy

Re: release nearly ready

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Oops, Josh pointed out I had closed and resolved backwards.  For the stock
Jira workflow template we are using, issues should be resolved before being
closed.  Closed is the terminal state.  Once an issue is closed, you cannot
create a sub-task without reopening the issue.  If an issue is resolved but
not closed, you can still create a sub-task.  I think we should really be
setting all issues to resolved until a release is nearly ready.  Once
ready, all issues should be reviewed.  If adequately tested and documented,
the issue should be closed.  Thoughts?
[image: Inline image 1]
Thanks,
Andy