Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/05/10 15:41:04 UTC

[compress] Thinking about 1.17 release

Hi all

there haven't been any really big changes in master but I think Tika is
waiting for COMPRESS-445 to get into a release so they can adapt their
ZIP bomb detection mechanisms after the existing ones have been broken
by Java10.

Personally I plan to add unit tests to the archivers.examples package
(which is at 0% coverage right now) and may merge the COMPRESS-450
branch if/when I get feedback by the original reporter.

Is there anything else you want to see inside of the next release?

I've published a site build from master:
https://stefan.samaflost.de/staging/commons-compress-1.17/

Please note I've also changed quite a few things on the examples page
https://stefan.samaflost.de/staging/commons-compress-1.17/examples.html
during the past few days. I've split archivers and compressors and added
a few new format-independent subsections. Maybe "examples" really isn't
the correct text for the nav-bar link anymore. I'd appreciate feedback
on the new text - as well as anything else.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: [compress] Thinking about 1.17 release

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-05-10, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Maybe "User Guide" is better than "Examples".

Sounds good.

> I think we would really help out our users if the template in "Common
> Extraction Logic" would be followed by a "reference implementation", even
> if that implementation only works on one OS.

> It's better IMO if we provide copy/paste-able code instead of something
> someone will cobble up on SO and possibly get wrong.

Please have a look at the Archiver and Expander classes in the new
examples package.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Maybe "User Guide" is better than "Examples".

I think we would really help out our users if the template in "Common
Extraction Logic" would be followed by a "reference implementation", even
if that implementation only works on one OS.

It's better IMO if we provide copy/paste-able code instead of something
someone will cobble up on SO and possibly get wrong.

Gary