Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> on 2012/05/08 02:59:15 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Separation of Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese

Dear all,

    I would like to propose to separate the Traditional Chinese website
from the Simplified Chinese website.  Currently they are on a same
website: zh.openoffice.org.  I would suggest to split it into
zh-cn.openoffice.org and zh-tw.openoffice.org (or zh-hans.openoffice.org
and zh-hant.openoffice.org).

    Currently there are two copies of each page on a same website, which
is already separated realitically.  The issues for Traditional Chinese
and Simplified Chinese are quite different.  The two language may still
cooperate, but the separation will make the maintenance easier and more
close to the local communities.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Separation of Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 8, 2012, at 6:26 PM, imacat wrote:

> On 2012/05/09 03:00, Dave Fisher said:
>> (3) both sites then get brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext which can be customized to Chinese.
>
>    Sorry I do not understand this part. ^^;  I added brand.mdtext and
> topnav.mdtext for both directories, but they does not work.  The page
> titles and navigations are not updated even ofter succeeding updates.
> Did I missed anything?

Yes. To activate these SSI includes you also need to add a zh-tw directory to trunk/templates/ with a copy of ssi.mdtext that points to the topnav and the brand.

$ cd ooo-site/trunk/templates

$ mkdir zh-tw

$ cp ssi.mdtext zh-tw/.

$ svn add zh-tw
A         zh-tw
A         zh-tw/ssi.mdtext

$ vi (or emacs) zh-tw/ssi.mdtext

$ more zh-tw/ssi.mdtext
doctype: /doctype.html
brand:  /zh-tw/brand.html
footer: /footer.html
topnav: /zh-tw/topnav.html
home:           home

$ svn commit -m 'Add branding for zh-tw'
Adding         templates/zh-tw
Adding         templates/zh-tw/ssi.mdtext
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1335884.

Checked and need to trigger a refresh by tweaking something in lib.

$ cd ../lib

$ emacs view.pm

(an innocuous change)

$ svn commit -m 'Trigger site scan to add zh-tw branding'
Sending        lib/view.pm
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1335885.

Wait ten minutes for the large staging build.

You should then see your branding and topnav.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/10 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>

> Hi.
>
> 2012/5/10 imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>
>
>>     I think the issue we discussed here is that, whether or not we want
>> br.openoffice.org to be redirected to http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/ .
>>  We need the input from the Brazil community to decide it.
>>

> The br.openoffice.org is redirected to openoffice.org/projects/br, but
> this case.
>
> I'm think and discurssing with some members of the brazilian community, a
> portal for news, events, etc. and another (the primary) only important,
> news, download, more information.
>
> What do you say ?
>
> The primary / *first*: openoffice.org/pt-br/
>

>    You may check previous mails in this thread for more of the
>> discussion and reason. ^_*'
>>

> Yes, I read the previous. I'm just explaining. :)

We want the base of AOO, don't do anyting separately.

Regards,
Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL] Separation of Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
Dear Albino,

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
Dear Albino,

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/9 Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>

> We have two languages portuguese:
>
> pt = Portugual / ....
> pt-BR = Brazil
>
> The pt-BR (Brazil) is still the only.
>
> The pt is spoken in coutry Portugual/Cape/Angola Verde and others coutry,
> and it varieties.

Sorry.

The pt is spoken in country Portugual/Cape Verde/Angola and others country,
and it varieties.

Best,
Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL] Separation of Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/9 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > plus
> >
> > (7) br.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/pt-br/
> >
> > Anyone have other needed redirections?
> >

> Did anyone actually request a redirect for pt-br?
>
> It would be good to understand the interest there a bit more.  Aside
> from continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, isn't it also
> spoken in the Azores and Cape Verde?  Which version of AOO would they
> use?  And what would make it easier for them to find?

We have two languages portuguese:

pt = Portugual / ....
pt-BR = Brazil

The pt-BR (Brazil) is still the only.

The pt is spoken in coutry Portugual/Cape/Angola Verde and others coutry,
and it varieties.

Terms is required pt and pt-BR.

Best,
Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL] Separation of Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/05/09 10:10, Dave Fisher said:
> Your brand and topnav are now in Traditional Chinese!

    Thanks a lot! ^_*'

    But I follow your steps, and the Simplified Chinese branding pages
are not updated yet.  Did I missed something?

> On May 8, 2012, at 6:43 PM, imacat wrote:

> We'll allow for all reasonable subdomains.
> Here are the redirections:
> (1) tw.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
> (2) cn.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
> (3) zh-tw.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
> (4) zh-cn.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
> (5) zh.openoffice.org/new/zh_tw/ -> www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/
> (6) zh.openoffice.org/new/zh_cn/ -> www.openoffice.org/zh-cn/
> (7) br.openoffice.org -> www.openoffice.org/pt-br/

    That is more than perfect! ^_*'  Thank you.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Way to go iamcat!

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 8, 2012, at 11:34 AM, imacat wrote:

> 於 2012年05月08日 19:36, Rob Weir 提到:
>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>>>   FYI, I found that http://zh.openoffice.org/ is a redirection to
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/zh now, which then separates into two
>>> directory trees.  The uniformed Chinese site does not exists.  The
>>> content is already separated.  Keeping a uniformed Chinese entry page
>>> does not make sense anymore.
>> Look at it also from the directory layout perspective:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/
>> Each language is a subdirectory of /ooo-site/trunk/content
>>
>> We already have an example of similar differences.  For example we
>> have both a Portuguese website (/pt) and a Brazilian Portuguese
>> website (/pt-br).
>>
>> So it sounds like you would do this;
>> 1. create a new directory, content/zh-tw
>> 2. svn copy the existing content from the old directory to the new directory
>> 3. work on that content until it is ready to publish
>
>    Hmm...  Currently they are actually two directory trees:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/zh/new/zh_tw/
> http://www.openoffice.org/zh/new/zh_cn/
>
>    So I would prefer to strip the /zh/news/ parts, and keep them as two
> equal directory trees.  Maybe keep the /zh/index.html, which redirects
> people to the new location according to their Accept-Language header,
> and provide choices if both zh-tw and zh-cn do not appear in user's
> Accept-Language header.
>
>    I think the issue is not to separate zh-tw from zh, but to separate
> existing zh-tw and zh-cn.  This is different from pt and pt-br.

Yes. There should be these actions.

(1) svn move (or copy) from zh/new/zh_tw to zh-tw
(2) svn move (or copy) from zh/new/zh_cn to zh-cn

(3) both sites then get brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext which can be customized to Chinese.

>> 4. Enter a JIRA issue requesting Infrastructure team to create a
>> subdomain zh-tw.openoffice.org that points to content/zh-tw
>
>    As they are merely redirection, I do not think it is necessary to
> create new virtual hosts only for redirection.

Not a big deal to ask. What will users do? tw.openoffice.org and cn.openoffice.org?

>> 5. Maybe also ask Infra to redirect requests from the old site to the new site
>
>    Good idea. ^_*'  Thank you.

zh.openoffice.org/new/zh_tw/  should redirect to www.openoffice.org/zh-tw
zh.openoffice.org/new/zh_cn/  should redirect to www.openoffice.org/zh-cn

zh.openoffice.org/index.html should redirect to www.openoffice.org/zh/index.html that offers the choice as now.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>    FYI, I found that http://zh.openoffice.org/ is a redirection to
> http://www.openoffice.org/zh now, which then separates into two
> directory trees.  The uniformed Chinese site does not exists.  The
> content is already separated.  Keeping a uniformed Chinese entry page
> does not make sense anymore.

Look at it also from the directory layout perspective:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/

Each language is a subdirectory of /ooo-site/trunk/content

We already have an example of similar differences.  For example we
have both a Portuguese website (/pt) and a Brazilian Portuguese
website (/pt-br).

So it sounds like you would do this;

1. create a new directory, content/zh-tw

2. svn copy the existing content from the old directory to the new directory

3. work on that content until it is ready to publish

4. Enter a JIRA issue requesting Infrastructure team to create a
subdomain zh-tw.openoffice.org that points to content/zh-tw

5. Maybe also ask Infra to redirect requests from the old site to the new site

-Rob

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by Zhe Liu <al...@gmail.com>.