Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net> on 2005/12/01 17:17:57 UTC

who is verify@0spam.com?

Greetings all;

I'm suddently being flooded with messages from the sender in the
subject line, containing absolutely no indication of what message
generated that response.

I don't do SPI, and never will as it just sems to confirm I'm a valid
email address.

What should I do, just sort it to the junquemail folder?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: who is verify@0spam.com?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I'm suddently being flooded with messages from the sender in the
> subject line, containing absolutely no indication of what message
> generated that response.
>
> I don't do SPI, and never will as it just sems to confirm I'm a valid
> email address.
>
> What should I do, just sort it to the junquemail folder?

Yes. From the looks of it 0spam is YABCRS (Yet another broken challenge-response
system). You're probably getting them due to forged sober viruses being sent in
your name to people who are 0spam customers.

Alternatively, you could intentionally release all the messages, knowing that
they are definitely spam or viruses. I often take this approach to CR systems.
If I really sent the message, I'll refuse to release it. If I know I didn't send
the message, I'll intentionally release it.

Put another way, if you're enough of a jerk to use a CR system that bombards me
with challenges, I feel no remorse in using completely arbitrary choices about
what I do with those challenges. After all, why are you trusting ME to filter
your mail for you? More importantly, why are you foisting the task upon me
unwillingly, and expecting me to perform this task well?

Hopefully they eventually learn that the CR approach really only means you are
trusting outsiders to filter mail for you, and who knows what they'll do.