Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Coles <jc...@rogers.com> on 2005/03/10 11:21:21 UTC

Can I use xinetd instead of inetd?

The instructions for setting up svnserve discuss configuring inetd.

Isn't inetd obsolete? I have been working with Linux for 3 years
and I have only ever seen xinetd used.

Mandrake (I am running 10.0) doesn't use one xinetd.conf file. It has
a directory, /etc/xinetd.d, in which there is a file for each service entry.
Here is my entry for svn:

# svnserve configuration
#
service svn
{
    socket_type         = stream
    protocol            = tcp
    wait                = no
    user                = svn
    server              = /usr/local/bin/svnserve
    server_args         = -i
}

This is my best interpretation of this inetd.conf example given in the
manual:
svn stream tcp nowait svnowner /usr/local/bin/svnserve svnserve -i

Is this right? I suspect not. The only way I can get svnserve to work is by
starting it from the command line:

svnserve -d

Can I make xinetd work? (How?) Or, do I have to use inetd?

Re: Can I use xinetd instead of inetd?

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Jonathan Coles wrote:
> The instructions for setting up svnserve discuss configuring inetd.
>
> Isn't inetd obsolete? I have been working with Linux for 3 years
> and I have only ever seen xinetd used.

A number of *nixes still use inetd.  Most newer Linux distros have
switched, however.  Debian stable (aka woody) is the only one I know of
offhand still using inetd.

> Mandrake (I am running 10.0) doesn't use one xinetd.conf file. It has
> a directory, /etc/xinetd.d, in which there is a file for each service
> entry. Here is my entry for svn:
>
> # svnserve configuration
> #
> service svn
> {
>     socket_type         = stream
>     protocol            = tcp
>     wait                = no
>     user                = svn
>     server              = /usr/local/bin/svnserve
>     server_args         = -i
> }
>
> This is my best interpretation of this inetd.conf example given in
> the manual:
> svn stream tcp nowait svnowner /usr/local/bin/svnserve svnserve -i

Check the location of your svnserve binary.  A source install would
usually put the binaries in /usr/local/bin;  most distros packaged
installs do NOT.

Check your logs;  if there's some problem with the entry it should get
logged - either on xinetd start/reload, or when you try to access the
service.

You may also want to include -r {repo root} in the server_args line;
this reduces the amount of filesystem cruft you have to enter in your
repo URLs.  Check the man page to make sure you get the correct path
entered.

> Is this right? I suspect not. The only way I can get svnserve to work
> is by starting it from the command line:
>
> svnserve -d

Probably a path issue.  svnserve is likely in /usr/bin, not
/usr/local/bin.

> Can I make xinetd work? (How?) Or, do I have to use inetd?

I've got one system working fine with xinetd, and another working
equally well with inetd.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!

Re: Can I use xinetd instead of inetd?

Posted by Eric Seppanen <ed...@reric.net>.
On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:21:21AM -0500, Jonathan Coles wrote:
> Can I make xinetd work? (How?) Or, do I have to use inetd?

Your setup looks correct to me.  Remember, you may have to 'killall -HUP
xinetd' or 'service xinetd reload' or something to get it to notice the
new file.  Also, you _must_ have the service listed in /etc/services
under exactly the same name you use in the xinetd.d/ file.

My working setup, on redhat 8.0:

$ grep svnserve /etc/services
svnserve        3690/tcp        # subversion standalone server

$ cat /etc/xinetd.d/svnserve
# default: off
# Subversion server
service svnserve
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        user            = svnserve
        group           = svn
        wait            = no
        server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
        server_args     = -i
        umask           = 002
        only_from       = 111.111.111.0/24 127.0.0.1
}

The only difference I see are my group&umask (to avoid permissions
conflicts with local users hitting the db directly), and the ip
restrictions.  So I think you're on the right track.

Re: Can I use xinetd instead of inetd?

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:21:21AM -0500, Jonathan Coles wrote:
> Isn't inetd obsolete? I have been working with Linux for 3 years
> and I have only ever seen xinetd used.

Then you've only used Red Hat derivatives. :-)

> # svnserve configuration
> #
> service svn
> {
>    socket_type         = stream
>    protocol            = tcp
>    wait                = no
>    user                = svn
>    server              = /usr/local/bin/svnserve
>    server_args         = -i
> }

That looks about right.

Some possibilities:

1. You *have* reloaded xinetd, right? It doesn't pick up new files
automatically.

2. You *have* defined 'svn' in the services file, right? Otherwise,
you'll need to specify a port in your xinetd.d/svn file.

3. Try adding 'disable = no' to the svn service. It's possible that
your xinetd is defaulting 'disable=yes'. Check /etc/xinetd.conf for a
'defaults' service (or /etc/xinetd.d/defaults, possibly).

Steve

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.

Re: Can I use xinetd instead of inetd?

Posted by Andy Peters <de...@latke.net>.
Jonathan Coles wrote:

> The instructions for setting up svnserve discuss configuring inetd.
>
> Isn't inetd obsolete? I have been working with Linux for 3 years
> and I have only ever seen xinetd used.
>
> Mandrake (I am running 10.0) doesn't use one xinetd.conf file. It has
> a directory, /etc/xinetd.d, in which there is a file for each service
> entry.
> Here is my entry for svn:
>
> # svnserve configuration
> #
> service svn
> {
>    socket_type         = stream
>    protocol            = tcp
>    wait                = no
>    user                = svn
>    server              = /usr/local/bin/svnserve
>    server_args         = -i
> }
>
> This is my best interpretation of this inetd.conf example given in the
> manual:
> svn stream tcp nowait svnowner /usr/local/bin/svnserve svnserve -i
>
> Is this right? I suspect not. The only way I can get svnserve to work is by
> starting it from the command line:
>
> svnserve -d
>
> Can I make xinetd work? (How?) Or, do I have to use inetd?

I'm running svnserve under xinetd on Mac OS X.  You need to make sure
that you add "disable=no" to your service entry.  I simply rebooted to
force xinetd to reload its configuration.

-a