Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org> on 2017/08/18 20:36:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] GitBox

I think we should revisit the discussion of using Apache GitBox for
Accumulo. If you are unfamiliar with it, GitBox enables better GitHub
integration for Apache projects. With GitBox, committers can label GitHub
pull requests, squash and merge them using the GitHub UI, and close them if
they become stale. I think a move to GitBox will help us do a better job of
reviewing and merging pull requests so that contributions are looked at in
a timely manner. The only downside to this move is that the git url for
Accumulo will change.

Does anyone have objections to this?

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.
> What has changed about the state of Accumulo or GitBox since the last
time we had this discussion?

Accumulo is getting more pull requests via GitHub. I think GitBox will help
us develop a workflow so contributions are not ignored (which I think is
occurring). I don't want to specify what our workflow should be but it will
be easier to create one if we can label, assign, merge, and close pull
requests using the GitHub UI.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
> From the discussion, it seems like we're +2, at least, with no objections
> to work through. So, I'll go ahead and create the INFRA issue to migrate.

I Am also +1 on switching to gitbox.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
From the discussion, it seems like we're +2, at least, with no objections

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] GitBox

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I'm a big +1 to using GitBox. I think features far outweigh the one-time
cost of switching the URL of the apache remote.

FWIW, the command to update a remote is:
git remote set-url origin https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/accumulo

May also want to update your user name for credential.helper if you're
using that:
git config --global --add credential.
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/.username ctubbsii

Super easy.