Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2010/05/04 17:59:14 UTC

Time to start talking about date for 0.8 close down

As our 0.6 release process took quite some time, I believe it is time
to assign the 0.8 release manager (any volenteers?) and to agree on
a date for feature freeze for 0.8.

I would suggest in April 16th   -- A random pick.

Suggest another if you like.
Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Time to start talking about date for 0.8 close down

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 6 May 2010 09:58, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 06/05/2010 10:31, Gordon Sim a écrit :
>>
>> On 05/06/2010 08:36 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
>>>
>>> Aren't we missing 0.7? I know the kernel guys used to alternate dev /
>>> prod , odd/ even but I thought they stopped as it was confusing to users.
>>>
>>> Why should Qpid be following an odd/even versioning scheme?
>>
>> There was a debate about this last year:
>>
>> http://apache-qpid-developers.2158895.n2.nabble.com/Release-numbering-suggestion-tt4204156.html

I recall this discussion and recall at the time thinking that it was
needing further discussion.

> I find it a bit confusing too. After the 0.5 and 0.6 releases I wouldn't
> expect a jump to 0.8. And I guess many users will ask the same question.
>
> There is an alternative that wasn't proposed in the discussion, that's the
> addition of a suffix to the version number. Something like 0.7-dev or
> 0.7-SNAPSHOT to specify it's a development version, that's a common
> practice.

To me this is a much better approach.

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:
> [...]

Spot on. If we debate about this we can do it until the cows come home.
Frankly I dislike the proposed mechanism, but I also don't really care
enough to -1 it.

What I really care and what I am really worried about is,

1.) That we don't do enough releases in a calendar year.
2.) Each release cycle takes quite a bit of time.
3.) We never stick to the dates we propose and miss them by miles.
4.) The release manager is more often left stranded without enough
community support.

I'd say pick some number and lets get the ball rolling.
We are already approaching the middle of the year and we are pretty
close in not achieving our original goal of having quarterly releases
in this year as well.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
On 05/06/2010 10:47 AM, Steve Huston wrote:
> [...]

Perhaps we should start with a straw poll on whether to use the even /
odd approach, versus consider other options? I think a lot of us have
been running in this direction, and I think there's something to be said
for stability.

If I were picking an approach from scratch, it would not be the even /
odd approach, but I really want to avoid changing it now unless there's
a compelling reason to do so.

So I'd like a straw poll on these two options:

1. Use the even / odd approach
2. Consider other approaches

Jonathan

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 10:58 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 06/05/2010 10:31, Gordon Sim a écrit :
> > On 05/06/2010 08:36 AM, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> >> Aren't we missing 0.7? I know the kernel guys used to alternate dev /
> >> prod , odd/ even but I thought they stopped as it was confusing to users.
> >>
> >> Why should Qpid be following an odd/even versioning scheme?
> >
> > There was a debate about this last year:
> > http://apache-qpid-developers.2158895.n2.nabble.com/Release-numbering-suggestion-tt4204156.html
>
> I find it a bit confusing too. After the 0.5 and 0.6 releases I wouldn't
> expect a jump to 0.8. And I guess many users will ask the same question.
>
> There is an alternative that wasn't proposed in the discussion, that's
> the addition of a suffix to the version number. Something like 0.7-dev
> or 0.7-SNAPSHOT to specify it's a development version, that's a common
> practice.

This is simply a "bikeshed" discussion [see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikeshed].

The decision has been taken, we've not even given it enough time to see
if it works or not. Can we just go back to doing productive things?

Andrew

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
Aren't we missing 0.7? I know the kernel guys used to alternate dev /
prod , odd/ even but I thought they stopped as it was confusing to
users.

Why should Qpid be following an odd/even versioning scheme?

Martin
--
Martin

Sent from my iPhone