Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Karr <da...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/29 18:21:07 UTC

How to properly enable logging in "org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"

In our SpringBoot services, we sometimes run into situations where we get
an exception like this:

org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Unable to start
web server; nested exception is
org.springframework.boot.web.server.WebServerException: Unable to start
embedded Tomcat

It doesn't provide any meaningful root cause.  I've googled how to get more
verbosity from this, but the results are so varied and often conflicting,
and I've never found a strategy that works. It appears that the logger used
in Catalina is not directly compatible with logback, or I'm not figuring
out the correct logger name to use.

I was finally able to figure out why this particular failure was happening,
but that was by carefully stepping through the code and finding new
breakpoints to drill down further. I saw references to the "juli" framework
for logging, which I had seen mentioned in the threads that talk about
getting these logs, but I was never able to get it to work.

As opposed to using my serious debugging skills, I'd like to figure out how
to simply increase the Tomcat logging levels so we can get better
information.

Re: How to properly enable logging in "org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
David,

On 2/29/24 13:21, David Karr wrote:
> In our SpringBoot services, we sometimes run into situations where we get
> an exception like this:
>
> org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Unable to start
> web server; nested exception is
> org.springframework.boot.web.server.WebServerException: Unable to start
> embedded Tomcat
>

> It doesn't provide any meaningful root cause.  I've googled how to get more
> verbosity from this, but the results are so varied and often conflicting,
> and I've never found a strategy that works. It appears that the logger used
> in Catalina is not directly compatible with logback, or I'm not figuring
> out the correct logger name to use.
>
> I was finally able to figure out why this particular failure was happening,
> but that was by carefully stepping through the code and finding new
> breakpoints to drill down further. I saw references to the "juli" framework
> for logging, which I had seen mentioned in the threads that talk about
> getting these logs, but I was never able to get it to work.
>
> As opposed to using my serious debugging skills, I'd like to figure out how
> to simply increase the Tomcat logging levels so we can get better
> information.

Is this helpful?

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/logging.html

-chris