Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by unmesha sreeveni <un...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/28 09:26:50 UTC

WholeFileInputFormat in hadoop

Hi

  A small clarification:

 WholeFileInputFormat takes the entire input file as input or each
record(input split) as whole?

--
*Thanks & Regards *

*Unmesha Sreeveni U.B*
*Hadoop, Bigdata Developer*
*Center for Cyber Security | Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham*
http://www.unmeshasreeveni.blogspot.in/

Re: WholeFileInputFormat in hadoop

Posted by Ryan Tabora <ra...@gmail.com>.
Try reading this blog here, I think it's a pretty good overview.

*http://hadoopi.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/understand-recordreader-inputsplit/
<http://hadoopi.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/understand-recordreader-inputsplit/>*

If you set a whole file's contents to be either the key or the value in the
mapper, yes you will load the whole file in memory. This is why it is up to
the user to define what a key/value pair is in the input format. You could
always set the key value pair to some metadata about the file (file path,
file length) if you don't want to load the whole thing in the mapper.

Regards,
Ryan Tabora
http://ryantabora.com

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15863566/need-assistance-with-implementing-dbscan-on-map-reduce/15863699#15863699

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at this post:

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at this post:

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at this post:

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
I think it will be easier if you give your use case. You really would load the file if you don't want it to split but there are many ways to solve the issue and that's why understanding the use case is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Tabora <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Tabora <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Tabora <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.
It takes entire file as input. There is a method in the class isSplittable
in this input format class which is set to false. This method determines if
file can be split in multiple chunks.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.