Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Seb Geek <ge...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/29 12:47:09 UTC

How to remove a Solr Node and its cores from a cluster SolrCloud and from collection

Hello,

I have a cluster of 4 Solr Cloud Nodes (nodes N1, N2, N3, N4). I use Solr
version 4.5.1 . One (N4) of these node have completely died (all cpu, ram
and disks are lost), I have added an other node (N5) to the Solr Cloud
cluster and copied all core configuration previously on node N4 to that
node (solr.xml and core.properties in data dir). That N5 node have
replicated all the index of my collection and is already able to respond to
request for the core (replica) that it owns.

In the state of my Solr cloud cluster, i can see old replicas on the died
node N4 ! how can i remove theses replica from my collection ?

Thanks
Sébastien

RE: How to remove a Solr Node and its cores from a cluster SolrCloud and from collection

Posted by Raju Shikha <ra...@cigniti.com>.
Hi Sébastien,
Are you using Zookeeper to maintain your 4 node cluster? If Yes, then clean the Zookeeper using zkCli.sh. It is present in zookeeper/bin
Sample query is
./zkCli.sh -server 127.0.0.1:2181
ls/

it lists all files.delete them all like aliases.json,clusterstate.json etc..except zookeeper folder. And restart the cluster. You will see all old things get cleared.
Hope it helps!!!

Regards,
Raju Shikha

Posted by Ryan Cutter <ry...@gmail.com>.
For people who run into this situation in the future: I had the exact same
problem Sebastien had while using 4.4.0 (1 of my 6 nodes died).  We rebuilt
a host to take its place but gave it the same hostname instead of making a
new one.  It was configured the same way with the same config files but
without any data of course.

When Solr on this rebuilt host got fired up, it joined ZK and the shard
indexes were repopulated from the other hosts.  Didn't have any issues.  I
think the host that died was a leader and now the rebuilt host that took
its place is a replica - fine with me.

I think if you pick a new hostname and the dead node kept popping up, I'd
try to edit the clusterstate.json file in ZK.

- Ryan