Posted to users@felix.apache.org by rcbandit <pe...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/20 08:37:35 UTC

How to create Java desktop application based on embedded Apache Felix

I want to create desktop Java application based on Apache Framework. I
created this main method:

import dx57.activator.Activator;
import java.util.ServiceLoader;
import java.util.HashMap;
import java.util.Map;
import org.osgi.framework.Bundle;
import org.osgi.framework.BundleContext;
import org.osgi.framework.BundleException;
import org.osgi.framework.launch.Framework;
import org.osgi.framework.launch.FrameworkFactory;

/**
 * This class provides a static {@code main()} method so that the bundle can
be
 * run as a stand-alone host application. In such a scenario, the
application
 * creates its own embedded OSGi framework instance and interacts with the
 * internal extensions to providing drawing functionality. To successfully
 * launch the stand-alone application, it must be run from this bundle's
 * installation directory using "{@code java -jar}". The locations of any
 * additional extensions that have to be started, have to be passed as
command
 * line arguments to this method.
 */
public class StartApplication
{

    private static Framework m_framework = null;
    public static Map<Integer, String> map = new HashMap<Integer, String>();

    /**
     * Enables the bundle to run as a stand-alone application. When this
static
     * {@code main()} method is invoked, the application creates its own
     * embedded OSGi framework instance and interacts with the internal
     * extensions to provide drawing functionality. To successfully launch
as a
     * stand-alone application, this method should be invoked from the
bundle's
     * installation directory using "{@code java -jar}". The location of any
     * extension that shall be installed can be passed as parameters.
     * <p>
     * For example if you build the bundles inside your workspace, maven
will
     * create a target directory in every project. To start the application
from
     * within your IDE you should pass:
     * <p>
     *
     * <pre>
     * {@code
file:../servicebased.circle/target/servicebased.circle-1.0.0.jar
     * file:../servicebased.square/target/servicebased.square-1.0.0.jar
     * file:../servicebased.triangle/target/servicebased.triangle-1.0.0.jar}
     * </pre>
     *
     * @param args The locations of additional bundles to start.
     *
     */
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {

        map.put(1, "/opt/bundle1.jar");
//        map.put(2, "test value 2");
//        map.put(3, "test value 3");

        // Args should never be null if the application is run from the
command
        // line.
        // Check it anyway.
        //String[] locations = args != null ? args : new String[0];

        // Print welcome banner.
        System.out.println("\nWelcome to My Launcher");
        System.out.println("======================\n");

        try
        {
            Map<String, String> config = ConfigUtil.createConfig();
            m_framework = createFramework(config);
            m_framework.init();
            m_framework.start();
            installAndStartBundles();
            m_framework.waitForStop(0);
            System.exit(0);
        }
        catch (Exception ex)
        {
            System.err.println("Could not create framework: " + ex);
            ex.printStackTrace();
            System.exit(-1);
        }
    }

    /**
     * Util method for creating an embedded Framework. Tries to create a
     * {@link FrameworkFactory} which is then be used to create the
framework.
     *
     * @param config the configuration to create the framework with
     * @return a Framework with the given configuration
     */
    private static Framework createFramework(Map<String, String> config)
    {
        ServiceLoader<FrameworkFactory> factoryLoader = ServiceLoader
                .load(FrameworkFactory.class);
        for (FrameworkFactory factory : factoryLoader)
        {
            return factory.newFramework(config);
        }
        throw new IllegalStateException(
                "Unable to load FrameworkFactory service.");
    }

    /**
     * Installs and starts all bundles used by the application. Therefore
the
     * host bundle will be started. The locations of extensions for the host
     * bundle can be passed in as parameters.
     *
     * @param bundleLocations the locations where extension for the host
bundle
     * are located. Must not be {@code null}!
     * @throws BundleException if something went wrong while installing or
     * starting the bundles.
     */
    private static void installAndStartBundles() throws BundleException,
Exception
    {
        BundleContext bundleContext = m_framework.getBundleContext();
        Activator hostActivator = new Activator();
        hostActivator.start(bundleContext);

        for (String location : map.values())
        {
            Bundle addition = bundleContext.installBundle(location);
            addition.start();
        }
    }
}

This is the POM file:

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

    <groupId>DX-57</groupId>
    <artifactId>DX-57</artifactId>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <packaging>bundle</packaging>

    <name>DX-57 OSGi Bundle</name>

    <properties>
    </properties>

    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.osgi</groupId>
            <artifactId>org.osgi.core</artifactId>
            <version>5.0.0</version>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                <version>2.3.7</version>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
                <configuration>
                    <instructions>
                        <Import-Package>org.osgi.framework,
org.osgi.util.tracker, org.osgi.framework.launch,
org.osgi.framework.launch.FrameworkFactory</Import-Package>

<Bundle-Activator>dx57.activator.Activator</Bundle-Activator>
                        <Export-Package/>
                    </instructions>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.4</version>
                <configuration>
                    <archive>
                        <manifest>
                            <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>

<mainClass>dx57.main.StartApplication</mainClass>
                        </manifest>
                    </archive>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>build-for-felix</id>
            <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                    <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                    <artifactId>org.apache.felix.main</artifactId>
                    <version>4.2.1</version>
                </dependency>

            </dependencies>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>1.7</version>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <id>compile</id>
                                <phase>package</phase>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>run</goal>
                                </goals>
                                <configuration>
                                    <target>
                                        <pathconvert property="plugins.jars"
pathsep="${path.separator}">
                                            <path
refid="maven.runtime.classpath"/>
                                            <map
from="${project.build.directory}${file.separator}classes" to=""/>
                                        </pathconvert>
                                        <pathconvert pathsep=" "
property="bundles">
                                            <path path="${plugins.jars}"/>
                                            <mapper>
                                                <chainedmapper>
                                                    <flattenmapper/>
                                                    <globmapper from="*"
to="file:modules/*" casesensitive="no"/>
                                                </chainedmapper>
                                            </mapper>
                                        </pathconvert>
                                        <propertyfile
file="${project.build.directory}/config.properties">
                                            <entry key="felix.auto.start"
value="${bundles} file:modules/${project.build.finalName}.jar"/>
                                            <entry
key="org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation" value="*"/>
                                        </propertyfile>
                                        <copy
file="${maven.dependency.org.apache.felix.org.apache.felix.main.jar.path}"
tofile="${project.build.directory}/felix.jar"/>
                                    </target>
                                </configuration>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                    </plugin>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.4</version>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <id>create-executable-jar</id>
                                <phase>package</phase>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>single</goal>
                                </goals>
                                <configuration>
                                    <descriptors>

<descriptor>${basedir}/src/main/assembly/felix.xml</descriptor>
                                    </descriptors>

<finalName>${project.build.finalName}</finalName>
                                </configuration>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>run-on-felix</id>
            <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                    <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                    <artifactId>org.apache.felix.main</artifactId>
                    <version>4.2.1</version>
                    <scope>provided</scope>
                </dependency>

            </dependencies>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>1.7</version>
                        <configuration>
                            <target>
                                <property name="vm.args" value=""/>
                                <pathconvert property="plugins.jars"
pathsep="${path.separator}">
                                    <path refid="maven.runtime.classpath"/>
                                    <map
from="${project.build.directory}${file.separator}classes" to=""/>
                                </pathconvert>
                                <makeurl property="urls" separator=" ">
                                    <path path="${plugins.jars}"/>
                                    <path
location="${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}.jar"/>
                                </makeurl>
                                <propertyfile
file="${project.build.directory}/run.properties">
                                    <entry key="felix.auto.start"
value="${urls}"/>
                                    <entry key="felix.auto.deploy.action"
value="uninstall,install,update,start"/>
                                    <entry key="org.osgi.framework.storage"
value="${project.build.directory}${file.separator}felix-cache"/>
                                    <entry
key="org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation" value="*"/>
                                </propertyfile>
                                <makeurl property="run.properties.url"
file="${project.build.directory}/run.properties"/>
                                <java fork="true"
jar="${maven.dependency.org.apache.felix.org.apache.felix.main.jar.path}">
                                    <sysproperty
key="felix.config.properties" value="${run.properties.url}"/>
                                    <jvmarg line="${vm.args}"/>
                                </java>
                            </target>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>
</project>

When I start the bundle I get this error:

[rcbandit@Laptop target]$ java -jar ./DX-57-1.0.jar

Welcome to My Launcher
======================

org/osgi/framework/launch/FrameworkFactory
	at dx57.main.StartApplication.createFramework(StartApplication.java:95)
	at dx57.main.StartApplication.main(StartApplication.java:71)
org.osgi.framework.launch.FrameworkFactory
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
	... 2 more

Can you help me to solve this problem, please?

Re: How to create Java desktop application based on embedded Apache Felix

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
I answered your question on StackOverflow already, so I'm not sure why you need to repeat it here. Anyway: you need to put the Felix framework JAR on the application class path.

Regards,
Neil.

--
Neil Bartlett