Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Cris Rockwell <cm...@umich.edu> on 2021/10/07 20:18:51 UTC

Maven Archetypes

Hi all

For SLING-10857 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-10857>  I took an inventory of the Sling Maven archetypes in an attempt to improve the docs. and grouped the GitHub links below with failing/passing tests. Are they all still supported? I recently tried starting sling-launchpad-standalone-archetype but it failed to complete.

Failing
https://github.com/apache/sling-launchpad-standalone-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-launchpad-standalone-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-launchpad-webapp-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-launchpad-webapp-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-servlet-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-servlet-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-bundle-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-bundle-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-jcrinstall-bundle-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-jcrinstall-bundle-archetype>

Passing
https://github.com/apache/sling-initial-content-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-initial-content-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-content-package-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-content-package-archetype>
https://github.com/apache/sling-project-archetype <https://github.com/apache/sling-project-archetype>

Cris

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Ruben Reusser <rr...@headwire.com>.
it would be great if it gets the same bells and whistles as the
archetype AEM has at the moment and maybe starts aligning with the split
code and content structure a bit more as well.

Ruben

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

As a FYI, the basic feature model work is done at

  https://github.com/apache/sling-project-archetype/pull/5

I did not merge it because it would then require us to release Sling
Starter 12 to release any version of the project archetype. If we are
fine with that, I can merge it.

Other than that, we have a list of issues targeted to the current
release

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SLING%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%22Sling%20Project%20Archetype%201.0.6%22

Your ideas sound good to me, feel free to raise issues and improve the
archetype :-)

Ah, and if we're retiring all but one archetype I think we should also
retire the archetype parent and move all the logic in the project
archetype.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi team

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Andreas Schaefer <sc...@me.com.INVALID>.
Hi

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Cris Rockwell <cm...@umich.edu>.
Hi

> Shall we mark those archetypes as deprecated for now?
Yes. I can make that update to the site (if no one objects). It makes sense to deprecate broken archetypes, at least temporarily. These provide an initial starting point for developers looking to try the framework, so I think they should not only work properly but also have good documentation if possible. I also understand resource constraints.

> I would be in favour of just maintaing the sling-project-archetype and
> making sure that a) it works and b) is a reasonable starting point for
> Sling-based apps.

FYI. I used sling-project-archetype two days ago. It worked well for me. It provided a reasonable starting basis for my new project.

- Cris

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Maven Archetypes

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, 2021-10-07 at 16:18 -0400, Cris Rockwell wrote:
> Hi all
>
> For SLING-10857 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-10857>
> I took an inventory of the Sling Maven archetypes in an attempt to
> improve the docs. and grouped the GitHub links below with
> failing/passing tests. Are they all still supported? I recently tried
> starting sling-launchpad-standalone-archetype but it failed to
> complete.

Thanks for looking into this. We do have lots of archetypes, and
technically all of them are supported, even the launchpad one.

In practice, we don't have the resources to maintain all of them. I